Is working for free as an online sports journalist illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

watermelonhead

I have been working for a popular boxing website for almost three years. I live in Arizona and my employers live in Washington and California. I go to boxing events and write fight reports, interviews, and pre-fight and post-fight articles. I have gone to about 20 fights and written at least 30 articles.

I have never been paid one dime. I have never signed any contract whatsoever. My work is exemplary.

My employer posts my articles online and at the bottom of the page it always states that my work is copyrighted by my employer. Again, I have never signed any agreement in which I gave away my copyrights. I have never copyrighted the material myself, though. My name always appears on the articles, showing that I wrote them. Sometimes I see my work on other websites, sometimes with a link to my employer's website.

I have travelled long distances via car to get back and forth to these events and I have never been compensated for my expenses. I always have a deadlline to get my work in on time and my employer is always asking me to do more and more work. I know that some people working for the website get paid. I am also listed on the home page of the website as a "correspondent." I was hired when I responded to an add on their website that was looking for writers to write for them.

Can I sue my employer to be compensated for all the articles that I have written and he has used? Can I also be compensated for my time and travel expenses? Also, can I sue my employer for copyright infringement? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back