Is trademarking a brand NAME and brand LOGO a two-for-one application ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicole AWB

Jurisdiction
Florida
Hi,
I would like to start a tee shirt company selling them online and creating my own designs as well. I'm more concerned about trademarking the NAME than I am the logo but if I can do both at one for one cost in one application, than I will.
I see you can enter the name in in standard simple text, but then you have the option to also upload a logo.
So what I'm hoping is that by submitting that one application it will protect both, PARTICULARLY the name. Any one know the answer to this?
thank you!
Nicole

"Trademark" is not a word that is properly used as a verb. It is a noun or an adjective. You can own a trademark and have trademark rights, but you cannot "trademark" something. You can, however, REGISTER a trademark, and I assume that's what you're talking about.

Just so you know, trademark rights derive from the use of the name or mark in commerce. Registration, while beneficial, is not required in order to have rights in your mark.

Your name and logo will be two separate trademarks. While you might be able to do both on a single application, you'll almost certainly have to pay an additional or separate fee. I suggest you consult with a local attorney or at least read everything you can at the PTO's website. You might also want to consider state registration instead of or in addition to federal registration.

So basically, you did not answer my question only tried to incorrectly correct my grammar. But what should I expect from free advice?

He did answer your question:

Your name and logo will be two separate trademarks. While you might be able to do both on a single application, you'll almost certainly have to pay an additional or separate fee. I suggest you consult with a local attorney or at least read everything you can at the PTO's website. You might also want to consider state registration instead of or in addition to federal registration.

Did you miss that part.

verb. trademarked; trademarking; trademarks. Definition of trademark transitive verb. : to secure trademark rights for : register the trademark of.

Not doubting what you posted - but you ought to cite your source.

OK zigner, maybe you should read more carefully. He said Might. That is not a definitive answer. He also told me to consult an atty. In addition, there is no need to cite sources. This is not a term paper. You can easlily google it yourself plus this site initially flagged my first copy and paste for some reason idky so I erased it. I'm not on here to argue. Just trying to get a question answered. But as usual all I get are assholes being assholes.

OK zigner, maybe you should read more carefully. He said Might. That is not a definitive answer. He also told me to consult an atty. In addition, there is no need to cite sources. This is not a term paper. You can easlily google it yourself plus this site initially flagged my first copy and paste for some reason idky so I erased it. I'm not on here to argue. Just trying to get a question answered. But as usual all I get are assholes being assholes.
You're a peach...bless your heart.

verb. trademarked; trademarking; trademarks. Definition of trademark transitive verb. : to secure trademark rights for : register the trademark of.

Sorry...I didn't realize you were already an expert on the subject. Makes me wonder why you posted here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back