Is this some kind of harrasment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drjames

I am one of about 18 physicians in a group practice for a large HMO. We have a "chief" who is appointed from amongst us to both represent our best interests as well as interface with the higher levels of management. There is a lot of occasion for the "Chief" to ask us for opinions on various issues affecting the group. While there is usually very little feedback from others, I always feel that my opinion counts for something. Perhaps, I am too opinionated but lately my "Chief" has deemed my opinions to be all criticism and without constructive suggestion. I feel that there are no perfect solutions to the issues at hand, but I do think open discussion is key to maintaining a cohesive department. I have always felt that our "Chief" is an appointed leader of equals (since we are all physicians first).

Lately, my "Chief" has adopted the habit of setting up appointments for me to chat with the HR director everytime I suggest a differing opinion for open discussion. There have been no specific allegations of impropriety and there have never been any resolutions or formal agreements to come out of these meetings. And my "Chief" never approaches me directly to talk about my concerns, opting instead to utilize the HR director to "get to the bottom of things." I have heard big words like "insubordination" being blithely mentioned by the HR director, but when I press for direct discussion of this allegation I am met with backpedaling and muffled guffaws. I sense that this is some kind of empty threat and that my "Chief" is using these meetings to intimidate me.

Others have expressed similar opinions to mine and have not been met with this kind of (over)reaction. Both me and my "Chief" are minorities. I am also part of the "younger crowd" more recently joined than the others in the group. I feel that my opinions are not being held in the same light as others, and that I am being intimidated into keeping my opinions to myself. I know this does not constitute any kind of illegal harrasment, but what can I do to deal with the situation? Specifically, with all the mentions of insubordination and other empty threats that are virtually being held over my head, is there some way I can get this to stop (short of leaving the group)? To be sure, the Chief is the only one who treats me this way. The rest of the group is very welcoming and supportive of my efforts. I think this may just be a case of one person just not getting along with another....only problem is that one of the people is in a position of power administratively.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Unless you are being treated less favorably because of your membership in a protected class (race, gender, age if over 40, national origin, religion, etc.) then nothing illegal is taking place.

One of two things are happening: (1) either the Chief does not, in fact, desire input from any of the other physicians despite outward appearances to the contrary, or (2) you have a style issue in the manner in which you're presenting your ideas. At the very least, he's not receiving your input in the manner in which you intend.

If the Chief has become a despot, there's very little you can do about that except to change jobs or wait it out until such time as a new Chief is appointed. However I suggest you ask several other peer physicians you respect and trust to please give you some honest and candid feedback about your communication style when you deal with the Chief. If your peers are sharing ideas and suggestions but not having the same reaction from the Chief, then this may be about the way in which you are presenting your ideas - the language you choose, your tone of voice, your body language, etc. Now that all may be perfectly acceptible to most folks but it's not working with the Chief. If you can adopt a different style in communicating with him, that might go a long way towards solving the problem.

You will likely need to convince several of your co-workers that you really and truly want honest and candid feedback - and that there will be no consequences from you if they put it on the line as you're asking: no hurt feelings, no pouting, no giving them the cold shoulder, etc. If you're going to ask for this kind of feedback, you have to be able to handle it without getting upset or defensive about what you are told. Simply take the information in, ask questions for clarification, and then thank the person for sharing their thoughts with you. You then need to think through what you heard and decide for yourself whether there is any validity in what you were told.

After that, you might also want to consider asking the Chief for some private time so the two of you can sit down and talk through things and see if together you can't resolve the animus that's developed. It is almost always true that it takes two people to develop a poor relationship. You can't control his behavior but you can control your own, including your reaction to what he says and does.

Good luck.

Beth,

Thanks so much for your quick reply! I appreciate your truly objective 3-party opinion. I completely agree with the fact that it does take two to create a poor relationship. In the beginning, I really tried hard to talk to my "Chief" and rectify things, and he seemed receptive. But it's different now and I do feel like I am being singled out...maybe held to a higher standard. Regarding my "style", I do think I am a reasonable and fairly eloquent person in my expression of ideas. And I have asked for honest feedback from my colleagues, and those that I have asked have generally agreed that my "Chief" is being unreasonable. But again, I'm the only one being sent to the principal's office. haha. I think because I am an easy target being one of the youngest of the group (actually we are from approximately the same cohort in age and experience), he is trying to establish some distance between his position and mine. When I have asked, the HR director seems perplexed as to why I am continually asked to meet with her, but we always have a nice conversation, albeit without resolution. I can't really trust HR to be on my side, I don't think, especially when they mention ideas such as insubordination. These meetings waste my time and theirs, taking me away from more important things. I do feel harrased by them.

So, I take it that you feel that this is a personality issue. Short of a group of us doing some sort of intervention, I am wondering what I should do to protect myself. Is it worth exploring personal legal representation maybe to send a message to curb this kind of treatment (though it may not be illegal, per se)?

If you've already explored with colleagues whether anything about your style may be contributing to the problem, then you're way ahead of me. :) Perhaps this is all about the Chief trying to elevate his perceived status in the organization and with the other doctors and for some unknown reason, he feels he can throw his authority around when it comes to you, perhaps because you're one of the youngest in the group. If the Chief is also one of the younger physicians and if he also has, shall we say, "ego issues," then that may explain his behavior. He's trying to "strutt his stuff" before the older, more experienced physicians. I have seen it happen that a technically competent individual who doesn't have the maturity or experience to handle a leadership role turn into a major a** when given some authority.

You may wish to consult with an attorney but the reality is no laws require your co-workers or boss to be nice to you or even be sane and rational people and nothing you describe falls into the category of prohibited harassment. If he is treating you badly because you're younger and therefore he thinks he can get away with it, that's just not illegal. Age is not a protected category until you reach 40.

Perhaps the best option for the time being is to keep your head down and wait for the other physicians to realize what a jerk this guy can be and hopefully appoint someone else to fill the leadership role. It's obvious that complaining to HR and continuing to butt heads with the Chief isn't going to get you anywhere. Sometimes laying low and waiting things out is the wisest course of action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back