Medical Malpractice Is this malpractice

Status
Not open for further replies.

larrydoane

I live in Indiana. In march my father passed away. He went to the hospital, and was quickly diagnosed with something like colonic diaphragm disease. It's a disease where you get a hole in your colon and it fills your body with bacteria, and pretty much poisons the body. His heart kept stopping, but they would bring him back. He was quickly put on a respirator. After a day he became very disoriented, and kept trying to leave, so they tied him to the bed. A day later he got out of the restraints and pulled his respirator tube out. He was breathing fine on his own, so they decided to keep it out. Then his vital signs went down, so they decided they were going to put the respirator back in, so they made us leave the room. We were in the waiting room when we heard them call a code 99. The doctor came out later, and told us that they went to put the respirator tube back in, but they never realized when he pulled his tube out that part of the tube was still in his throat, and when they went to put the other one in it got lodged in his throat cutting off his air supply. They waited 13 minutes to trake him. They told us he had a high chance of being brain dead. The next night a neurologist ran a brain test that said he was 99.9% brain dead. We all knew he didn't want to live on life support, so we took him off, and he died. It angers me that he died from something that had nothing to do with his medical problem. I also don't understand why they waited so long to trake him. Is that malpractice?

Sorry for your loss. I doubt if anyone on a legal forum can determine if your situation was malpractice. An outsider not trained in the medical field would not be able to determine if the procedures were medically sound or not.

They waited 13 minutes to trake him.
Yes, this sounds unrealistic, yet perhaps there was a legitimate medical reason.

Malpractice doesn't just happen because you say so, it has to be proven. What specifically are you saying the doctors did wrong that resulted in the untimely death of your father? Would others in the medical field agree that the procedure(s) were not proper under the circumstances?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back