Is this legal? Lease/Landlord Entry Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atropa

My boyfriend and I have been having problems with our landlord repeatedly coming to the door and harassing us at all hours of the day. He has posted the house we rent on a 6month lease for sale, we are on the last month of this lease and have given a written 30 day notice to move by the first of May.

He brought people by with no notice to view the outside of the property yesterday morning at 9:00 am. My boyfriend was leaving for work, I was inside half naked and surprised by people looking in the windows and walking right up by the house. We asked them to leave the premises, and reminded the landlord he needed a 24 hour notice in writing to show the house. They refused, so I called the police. The officer told me that he would call the landlord, and that because they didn't leave when asked this is trespass.

Later that day, the landlord brings me a letter from his lawyer saying:
"We unequivocally demand that you cooperate with our client and his agents to allow entry for the purpose listed in the lease. I have instructed my client and he will instruct others as necessary, to give at least 24 hours notice whenever reasonably possible. Bear in mind, however, that shorter notice may be required, depending upon the circumstances. Please also understand that entry must be allowed seven days per week."

My lease reads "The tenant shall permit the landlord and/or its agents to enter into and upon the premises at all reasonable times and upon reasonable notice for the purpose of inspecting it or for the purpose of exhibiting the premises to prospective purchasers or tenants"

But, the statute here in California says that a landlord must give at least 24 hours written notice, and only on normal business hours to show the property. Normal business hours are considered to be 9am - 5pm Monday through Friday.

So how can a lawyer write a document making demands that do not agree with California Statute? What are our rights? What should we do next? We don't want our privacy invaded every day of the week. Moving under these circumstances is stressful enough. :mad:

By the time you could fix this, your lease will be up and you'll be gone.

You signed the lease.

You could litigate it, and probably win.

But, by the time that happened, it'll be the end of May (or later).

At this point, bide your time.

If you don't care about getting your deposit back in a timely fashion, go for it.
Sue him.
If you wanna see some of that deposit back, ignore it.

Or, you could make him a deal.
Offer to move out within the next 14 days (maybe even 7 days), if he leaves you alone.

You'll be gone next month anyway.

This too shall pass!!!

Last edited:
By the time you could fix this, your lease will be up and you'll be gone.

You signed the lease.

The lease governs how the property can be shown.

At this point, bide your time.

You'll be gone next month.

This too shall pass!!!

I agree, but he brings people by with just no notice whenever he feels like it. No where in the lease does it say this is acceptable. It says he has to give reasonable notice. I don't want our privacy invaded anymore than necessary.
Also, I have been informed that a lease can not supersede a statute in the first place, even if it did say he could come by without notice at 8:00 am.

/e Hah, quoted you before you edited. I'd love the make him a deal option if there was one. And the way he's acting about all of this, I really doubt we'll see our deposit in a timely fashion anyways.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back