Is this legal? Can I do anything about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

katie999

I would appreciate any input anyone can provide.

My husband has a two-part problem at work that might cost him his job. I would like to know if what they are doing is legal and if we can anything about it. This would be under Indiana law. First, he works under a monthly performance quota, and if one does not meet quota one can be fired. Vacation/sick time is counted as "zero" performance, so one risks ones job to take vacation. My husband took vacation around the Christmas holidays, before which his quota was fine (and before which he tried to work all the overtime he could to compensate for the time he would have off). His "performance" fell while on vacation because it was counted as zero and he did not have enough days to make it up when he returned. He got a first warning out of three. Next, he was doing fine on the published performance goal/quota for January, and they switched it to a different type of goal a few days before the end of the month, which my husband was not aiming towards. This one takes an opposite strategy from the first, so most workers cannot keep both "above the line". More than half the staff fell "below the line" because of this. Because of this sudden switch, he got strike two. His job is at risk because he took vacation and because they changed the quota/goal a few days before the end of the month. He feels he is in his manager's cross-hairs and that are going to push him out of his job. Are these two business behaviors legal? Can we do anything about it?

While I'm not necessarily saying that I approve of the way his employer is operating, nothing you have described violates either Indiana law or Federal law (or, for that matter, the law of any other state).

That is terrible behavior from the employer but I doubt it is illegal.

They sound like a rotten employer to work for, I would start looking for another job and when he finds one, take a couple employees with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back