Is this harassment, illegal, or something I should just give up on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmhtrauma

I was recently terminated from a non union, at will job. The employer did not give me a reason, which I understand is legal. However, I filed for unemployment and after a few weeks got a disallowed status due to "...negligence or willfull disregard...". The paper stated that I violated a company rule. I have no idea as to what this rule was. I don't believe I have done anything wrong. In the process of the unemployment paperwork I received a letter from my employers attorney's stating they have "...received reliable information that at the time of termination of your employment you took with you cerain property...". I e-mailed the attorneys in response, and told them that I do not have and did not take what my former employer has accused me of taking. (I was accused of taking documents ie...consent forms). After receiving this, I am concerned that this is my former employers way of trying to keep me from getting back into the same field of medicine. Which means I would be working for their competition. I decided to do some research on my own, and found approx. 6 public records of other former employee's that were accused of the same thing at time of termination. This shows a strong pattern, and the principle of intentionally accusing people of things they know are not true is extremely upsetting. Do I have enough information for a law suit with these other people for defamation and filing false complaints? If so, where do I need to start, and who do I get a hold of to see that no one else will have to suffer through this type of harrassment? Any other information on the information above will truely be appreciated. Thank you!

This is neither harassment nor, if I am understanding you correctly, illegal. However, you have recourse in the form of an appeal to the UI office.

I guess I was thinking that since the employer is accusing everyone that formerly worked for them, of the same thing, and making it part of everyone's public record that this would be leading up to possible defamation of character. (Since the employer knowingly has FALSELY accused everyone in the form of a formal complaint to the courts) There is no way that I know of to get this taken off our records. This seems all too wrong. How does anyone get away with ruining someone's employment reputation by throwing out the same false accusations about everyone that used to work for them. Any new employer prospect can easily, and very often does, look up public records through the county courthouse via the internet, and could potentially look at that and be mislead. There has got to be a way to prove that this really is a form of defamation, even though not the typical form. I would love to have an attorney's position on this way of viewing the defamtion law. Any insight would greatly be appreciated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back