Is This Grounds For A Personal Legal Suit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwfh

As a result of falling behind on a car payment, Chrysler Financial's wonderful collection team has bombarded me with between 5 to 8 calls a day. A bit overkill in my opinion, but it's to be expected.

My problem is this....They contacted my wife at work on her off day. My wife's name is Julie and she has a co-worker named Julie - See where I'm going here with this?

This other Julie took the call and with disregard to confirming that they (CF) were in fact speaking to the correct Julie, they started disclosing the purpose of the call and releasing sensitive personal information regarding our account to a complete stranger.

Ok, does this constitute grounds for any legal pursuit on my behalf and if so, what would it be called? :mad:

Thanks in advance for your feedback

The FTC handles debt collectors.
Some states also have a similar agency, that also addresses debt collectors.
A debt collector generally is not permitted to discuss your debt with anyone other than you, your spouse, or your attorney.

Do I have any recourse if I think a debt collector has violated the law?

You have the right to sue a collector in a state or federal court within one year from the date the law was violated. If you win, the judge can require the collector to pay you for any damages you can prove you suffered because of the illegal collection practices, like lost wages and medical bills. The judge can require the debt collector to pay you up to $1,000, even if you can't prove that you suffered actual damages. You also can be reimbursed for your attorney's fees and court costs. A group of people also may sue a debt collector as part of a class action lawsuit and recover money for damages up to $500,000, or one percent of the collector's net worth, whichever amount is lower. Even if a debt collector violates the FDCPA in trying to collect a debt, the debt does not go away if you owe it.

But, this website may help you.
Educate yourself, the answers you seek begin on this site.
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre18.shtm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back