Is this government fraud?

Donkey37

Jurisdiction
New York
I know a couple who are under the age of 65 (allegedly) that may be receiving improper government benefits. This is what I know -

- They receive free health coverage (I dont remember if it is Medicare or Medicaid).
- They receive government financial assistance. Not sure which program. But they are definitely getting disbursements and aid beyond social security checks.
- Their daughter pays their credit card bills and also allows them to live in her home (titled to her) for free and pays all the bills. The mortgage and bills amount to roughly 4-5k per month. I am not sure if the credit cards are all under the daughter or if they have their own. But their daughter pays for everything. They are clearly not living as poor people.
- The daughter does not live with them. She has a husband and she lives with her husband. Her husband financially supports her and allows his inlaws to basically use all her salary to support themselves.
- The daughter claims both of them on her taxes as dependents. The couple shows 0 income on their tax returns.

It doesn't seem possible that this couple should be receiving government benefits as though they are both broke, despite living a middle class life due to their daughter fully financially supporting them. Does this make sense to anyone? Is it possible that this is all kosher?

Please advise. These are acquaintances of mine and I don't want to ask them how they make it work, but it just seems like something is not right here.

It doesn't seem possible that this couple should be receiving government benefits as though they are both broke, despite living a middle class life due to their daughter fully financially supporting them. Does this make sense to anyone?

What makes no sense to me is how nosy some people can become.

Is it possible that this is all kosher?

Kosher, did you type?

I love Kosher hot dogs.

I love matzo ball soup, too.

Is that Kosher enough for you, mate?

Please advise.

I oblige because you said please.

If I were you, I'd mind my own business.

Most people hate and despise rats, especially two legged cheese eating rats.

You evidently do not know even how old the parents are. You do not know what government benefits they are getting. You don't know the exact details of the arrangement between them and their daughter. You likely don't even really know what their tax returns show as I doubt very much you have actually reviewed the returns, nor do you know for sure what the daughter and her husband claim on their return since I think it unlikely that you have personally reviewed their returns either. The bottom line is that you are very short on facts and very long on speculation. Without knowing the exact details of what is going on I cannot say if any government fraud is taking place. Depending on the particular programs involved it is quite possible that they legitimately get the benefits they are receiving.

As you know very little, apparently, there isn't much you can do here. And I don't recommend you try to ferret out that information. It's not really your place to nose into the private financial affairs of others who are strangers or, as in this case, merely acquaintances.

Back