Is this extortion/What can I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

todd65law

A customer who purchased something from me while representing my company is seeking a refund and threatening legal action should a refund not be granted. As the salesperson, I sold the item to the customer which required installation in the customer's home. After installation, the customer stated she wasn't happy with the end result and demanded a refund. I should add the project was completed as per all elements of the contract, thus my company has stated that no refund will be granted. I notified the customer of this and she responded with the following statement: "if your company isn't going to refund the money, i'm going to get it from you - otherwise, i'll sue you and the company." i am tempted to figure out some way to pay her just to avoid any legal issues - my wife is about to have a baby and i have health issues, so i can't handle any more stress.

what should i do:

1. notify my company and let their legal department handle it?
2. notify the police and see if it satisfies the definition of extortion?
3. pay the customer to avoid any potential legal action?
4. don't worry about it, she doesn't have a case?
5. contact a lawyer for myself and let my company deal with future problems?

Number one. Notify your employer and let them/their legal department handle it.

Hands down. No question. You should have notified them before. Do it immediately.

Also number four; don't worry about it. She has no legal way of making YOU pay. You are not legally responsible to pay her.

I will tell you, though, that your employer may be a tad miffed at you for not making them aware of the problem sooner.

thanks

my employer was notified as soon as i received the "demand", but i was just wondering what MY actual liability was in the situation.
thanks!

Let your employers legal or customer serrvice dept handle it. Stop worrying, unless you broke any sort of company policy i don't see how you are at fault here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back