Is this a valid reason to receive (another) continuance?

K

klee119

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
So, I received a ticket for an illegal left turn in January, and my court date was set for Jan. 24th. I couldn't attend as I was in a different state, attending school, and so I requested and got a continuance. That new court date was received by me maybe 3 weeks ago, and it is set for May 26th.

However, I'll be out of the country from May 24th to June 2nd because I'll be going to Vancouver to see a friend and other family members. I was told to write a letter to the judge requesting another continuance but I'm just not sure if it'll be a valid reason for it. I can provide itinerary for the plane ride, etc.

It may not be as serious, but I'm just scared that it'll be denied.

So, I received a ticket for an illegal left turn in January, and my court date was set for Jan. 24th. I couldn't attend as I was in a different state, attending school, and so I requested and got a continuance. That new court date was received by me maybe 3 weeks ago, and it is set for May 26th.

However, I'll be out of the country from May 24th to June 2nd because I'll be going to Vancouver to see a friend and other family members. I was told to write a letter to the judge requesting another continuance but I'm just not sure if it'll be a valid reason for it. I can provide itinerary for the plane ride, etc.

It may not be as serious, but I'm just scared that it'll be denied.

I'm a judge.

I have a rule.

I don't read letters.

I only accept one excuse, medical incapacitation, or hospitalization.

The only notes I accept are from medical practitioners.

I don't read letters.

I only hear motions.

If someone came before me with a motion seeking a continuance because the person wanted to go on vacation, I'd give them a FREE, 24 hour, all expenses paid by the county, vacation in the county jail for contempt.

Think about what you're planning to ask, "Judge I'm too busy to come to court because I'll be on vacation, sorry!"

Add insult to injury, you've already had one continuance on a lousy traffic citation.

I'm so happy not to have done traffic court cases for decades.

I'm just scared that it'll be denied.

You're right to be scared. I'm betting that it WILL be denied. You got one bite of the apple for school (reasonable) but you won't get another for vacation, guaranteed.

If your continuance is denied and you don't show up your license will be suspended, your insurance could be cancelled which drives you into the high risk (expensive) insurance tier, and there could be a warrant out for your arrest so that the next time you get pulled over (and you will) you'll be arrested and your car impounded.

Enjoy your vacation.

Back