Consumer Law, Warranties Is this a legal agreement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbella

My jurisdiction is: NY Albany county

A bried history. I'm having a dispute with a local cat breeder. He sold me sick kittens. He medically treated them after I bought them but does not have a vet. license. The kittens were still sick. I brought them to the vet (twice). He didn't want to reimburse me for the visits until I said I was taking him to small claims.
He had agreed to pay the 2 vet bills. I said over the phone that I would pay any additional visits because I knew he wouldn't pay me a large sum of money (without doing the small claims ordeal).
He faxed me a letter to my office to sign. I would have been fine if it was just about the finances but he included a disclaimer that I wouldn't file any complaints. I intend to file with the Attn. General for practicing medicine without a license. Am I obligated not to file if I sign this agreement? Is it legal for him to withhold money from me by forcing me to not file a complaint?
Here is the agreement I received:

"I (breeder name) am sending $260.00 to (my name) for vet bills occured on 11/22 and 11/29. This clears up any money owed, and I'm not responsible for any future bills and not liable for anything else. There will be no complaints filed about our business."

Is this legal? Also, if it is not, is the entire agreement null?

Thank you so much for your responses. He's expecting I fax this back to him this afternoon so I'll try to hold it off until I receive some advise.

jbella9@yahoo.com
Dawn

Frankly, the clause is very vague, so it's unclear what it's intended to prohibit. I suspect it would probably bar you from filing a complaint with the AG. Is it "legal"? Sure, if you agree to it. It is not uncommon for settlement agreements to contain non-disclosure clauses.

Thank you for your response. Is there another way around this? What if I had already sent in a complaint to the AG before signing this paper? I really want to report the incident if at all possible so it can be properly investigated. I can't imagine how many other people he has put through this.

If you want to report it, don't sign the settlement. Reporting it and then signing would be bad form, and probably amount to pre-emptive breach.

How about this: report it, and sue him in small claims to recover your vet bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back