is this a contract? now what?

S

scifiguy

Jurisdiction
Maryland
we're in Maryland. a contractor agreed (this is all verbal) to do some remodeling in our kitchen for a specific price. as he got into the job, he said it was more complex than he thought, so would cost more. My wife said 'OK' and without ever discussing a price, he completed much (though not all) of the job. so, what now? has my wife entered into a contract where the contractor can charge whatever he wants? btw: his people cut the phone cable to our house, stepped through the floor breaking the ceiling below, and broke a painting - all we had to pay to get fixed. that's just icing on the cake :)

we're in Maryland. a contractor agreed (this is all verbal) to do some remodeling in our kitchen for a specific price. as he got into the job, he said it was more complex than he thought, so would cost more. My wife said 'OK' and without ever discussing a price, he completed much (though not all) of the job. so, what now? has my wife entered into a contract where the contractor can charge whatever he wants? btw: his people cut the phone cable to our house, stepped through the floor breaking the ceiling below, and broke a painting - all we had to pay to get fixed. that's just icing on the cake :)

It MIGHT be a contract, at least that's what the contractor will say when you don't pay.
That's when a lien will be placed on your home to entice you to pay.
Otherwise, you may end up getting sued.
Or, you might have to sue.
This is what happens when you commission work without a written contract, and caps on the work before the cost increases.

Back