Is there consideration when paying your taxes?

Scott1969

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
Hi,

We paid our taxes at the end of October. I messed up and put the discount amount so we were short 2%. However, the school district cashed our check and several weeks later sent us a letter that they had cashed the check in error, and we were on the hook for another 700 bucks above and beyond what we really owed.

Because they cashed our check, isn't that considered the consideration of a contract? The irony of course is that they made a mistake in cashing this, but want to charge us the difference of what we should have owed plus a huge penalty. We on the other hand did make a mistake and would be willing to pony up the 2%.

Hi,

We paid our taxes at the end of October. I messed up and put the discount amount so we were short 2%. However, the school district cashed our check and several weeks later sent us a letter that they had cashed the check in error, and we were on the hook for another 700 bucks above and beyond what we really owed.

Because they cashed our check, isn't that considered the consideration of a contract? The irony of course is that they made a mistake in cashing this, but want to charge us the difference of what we should have owed plus a huge penalty. We on the other hand did make a mistake and would be willing to pony up the 2%.

My general advice in any tax matter, pay it, otherwise you'll regret dilly dallying about with it.

Fighting the confiscatory tax thieves is a waste of time.

Pay it, make the whole thing go away.

You really don't want that sulfurous stench lingering about all day!!!

Because they cashed our check, isn't that considered the consideration of a contract?

No, silly, it's just underpayment of the bill.

The irony of course is that they made a mistake in cashing this, but want to charge us the difference of what we should have owed plus a huge penalty. We on the other hand did make a mistake and would be willing to pony up the 2%.

No, the taxing authority didn't make any mistake. You underpaid and got hit for the balance and the late payment penalty.

The IRS would treat you the same way. The utility companies would treat you the same way. Your credit card companies would treat you the same way. And all of them would be right, proper, and legal.

You can talk to the tax people and see if they'll cut you some slack on the penalty. If not, I suggest you just send the money or the consequences will be disastrous.

Back