Criminal Law Is there a way to get back a green card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

annax

My husband was convicted of aggravated assault in 2003. He had his green card taken from him and did 8 years in prison. When he was released, ICE took him into their custody. His immigration case is very complicated.. He is Laotian, but was born in a refugee camp in Thailand. Neither country will take him back. So, ICE released him and he doesn't have permanent residency.. If he can't live anywhere else, except in America, how do we get his green card back?

I met him after all of this happened. We are now legally married and are trying to have a baby. He has a good job and I own my own business.. I doubt any of that would matter, lol.

We heard there was a way to get it back.. We would have to hire a criminal lawyer to lessen his conviction, and an immigration lawyer to petition and all that good stuff.. but is that all just rumor?

PS. His deportation status says Final.. so the US is pretty much waiting for Laos or Thailand to take back felons in order to send him back.

Thanks for your advice!

This goes beyond the scope of an Internet forum, but I wouldn't rate his chances.

I wouldn't rate his chances either but he can talk to an attorney. He might also need to talk to a criminal attorney but I would start with just talking to an immigration attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back