Is there a reason not to use a public defender for misdemeanor case?

BNC_77

Jurisdiction
Mississippi
Okay, I know this is a naive question, but I'm having to learn a lot quickly about the legal system, and am genuinely looking for perspective. For context, I'm facing a first-offense shoplifting charge (less than $30 amount), that, as I now understand it, I cannot possibly defend against. My income is small enough that I don't see any way I could afford my own lawyer for this. I might could look at more radical options like going into debt to pay a lawyer, but I'm not sure I should do that, given the impression I'm getting that the outcome will be the same as with a PD.

Could any one please help me understand the pros/cons? Thanks in advance for your time.

If you can afford to pay for an attorney, you don't get a public defender.

Okay, I know this is a naive question, but I'm having to learn a lot quickly about the legal system, and am genuinely looking for perspective. For context, I'm facing a first-offense shoplifting charge (less than $30 amount), that, as I now understand it, I cannot possibly defend against. My income is small enough that I don't see any way I could afford my own lawyer for this. I might could look at more radical options like going into debt to pay a lawyer, but I'm not sure I should do that, given the impression I'm getting that the outcome will be the same as with a PD.

Could any one please help me understand the pros/cons? Thanks in advance for your time.

A public defender is a lawyer.
The difference between a public defender and a private attorney is the state pays for the public defender.
In most states, he or she practices law privately, but does take court ordered cases, too.

There are no cons. This is a legal issue and you need a Lawyer. Plead not guilty and request a Public defender. The Judge will instruct you what to do next and begin process to see if you meet criteria

A PD is a lawyer. The judge will decide if you qualify for one. Go to court, plead not guilty & ask for one to be provided.

Back