Is It Too Late To Enforce Medical Insurance Order?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathleeng

When we moved back to FL in 2004, I applied for Medicaid for my daughter and was told that the state would pursue child support from her father. After the usual paperwork, DNA tests, we went to court where he was ordered to pay support and to provide medical insurance. It took him about 10 months to put her onto his medical insurance plan where he worked.(He had every excuse in the book!) When I wanted to use the insurance I discovered that not only was it only good in the county in which he lives (some 5-6 hrs away) but also the company would not give me any information or discuss anything about the coverage with me, even though I am the custodial parent and despite the fact that my child has only met her father once in her life. I was furious!! He then tried to take out a BCBS policy for her but I told him not to bother! I found out that, again, I would not be allowed to receive any information about the policy and ALL paperwork would be sent to him. I purchased my own BCBS policy for my daughter. I set it up so the payments would come out of her savings acct (where her SS check is deposited every month). About that time I cut off all telephone communication with him. All he did was complain about the support payments; he never called to speak to his daughter.

To make a long story short, BCBS never took the payments from the checking account. I know this is my fault as I did not keep up with it. I have no real excuse except that life kind of got in the way (I am disabled and was taking care of my elderly mother and daughter alone), which is not much of an excuse, I know.

Now come the questions: Can I still ask the court to enforce the original order and make him take out a health insurance policy for her? Also, is there any way to force the health insurance companies to allow me to have access to her policy information, answer my questions, mail statements to me, etc?

I feel like the judge would laugh me right out of the courtroom as my excuse is so lame but my financial situation has changed recently. My mother went into a nursing home and we no longer have her income. My daughter and I both get SS Disability and she receives child support. We need all of our income just to meet living expenses.

I would certainly appreciate any offered advice. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back