Is it mandatory for schools to bring in medical clinics to teach absti

Nicole2325

Is it state law in Missouri for the public school to bring in a medical clinic to teach 7th graders about abstinence??
I do NOT want the school teaching my kids abstinence and sexual education. I believe that should be left up to the parents. My kids come home and don't understand their core subjects, but the school thinks it's their job to teach sexual education. I DO NOT like this one bit. I think teachers should be teachers at school and let the parents be parents at home. We pay the teachers to make sure the kids understand their core subjects... NOT sex.

Then put your kid in private school in keeping with your beliefs or homeschool. You can also ask if there is an opt out program for certain classes or lessons. Most schools have them. What you can't do, is require the school to re-write the curriculum to suit your personal beliefs. Nothing is stopping you from educating your child at home. They spend far more time with you than with a teacher. And no, there is no state law prohibiting teaching abstinence. If fact, it is fairly unusual for a parent to be pro-sex/anti-abstinence when talking about 7th graders.

Is it state law in Missouri for the public school to bring in a medical clinic to teach 7th graders about abstinence??
I do NOT want the school teaching my kids abstinence and sexual education. I believe that should be left up to the parents. My kids come home and don't understand their core subjects, but the school thinks it's their job to teach sexual education. I DO NOT like this one bit. I think teachers should be teachers at school and let the parents be parents at home. We pay the teachers to make sure the kids understand their core subjects... NOT sex.

I can't say for Missouri, but in Texas a parent can choose to have her or his child not participate in any sex education classes.
I'm sure other states have such an option a parent can exercise.
In Texas, the parent simply informs the teacher upon receiving notification that sex education will be taught.
The parent can then choose to not have Paula or Paul attend the session(s).
The school has optional work that such a child will then be assigned in a safe, secure, learning environment away from the sex education curriculum subject matter.
I suggest you inquire of your child's teacher or principal how you might exercise you parental opt out privilege for your child.

If your children come home confused about their core subjects, you as a parent would be better investing your time assisting them to learn while they do their homework, instead of complaining their teacher was not able to inject a lesson permanently into the brains of about 20 children in 48 minutes everyday.

Back