Is it Legal to Collect River Water?

KJaemin

Jurisdiction
New York
For my science fair project, I had done a water purification themed project, so I decided it would be great to collect water from the East River (since I live nearby) and purify it using my own methods. Is it legal to collect East River Water in New York? (I attached rocks to a water bottle and dropped it down to collect the river water)

For my science fair project, I had done a water purification themed project, so I decided it would be great to collect water from the East River (since I live nearby) and purify it using my own methods. Is it legal to collect East River Water in New York? (I attached rocks to a water bottle and dropped it down to collect the river water)

People fish in that river, I've even seen people swimming in that river, I've seen a person urinating in that river, I suppose taking a little water isn't illegal or being taxed; YET!

The East River is not a River.

The East River is really a "salt water tidal strait" since it does not contain any fresh water.

If you wish to make the water potable, I suspect you'd also have to desalinate it.

East River mid-channel at Roosevelt Island - Riverkeeper

Into the murky waters: hundreds brave New York City's East River for annual swim

East River - Wikipedia

I just called DEP and the person receiving the phone call said that they didn't have that information and that I could try googling it. I had googled it before, I couldn't find anything on river water collection, but only rainwater collection.

I can't even conceive that it wouldn't be legal (unless your intent is to collect tens of thousands of gallons, which I assume isn't the case).

Back