1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Is it Legal to Collect River Water?

Discussion in 'Other Governmental Matters' started by KJaemin, Apr 29, 2019.

1. KJaemin

KJaemin Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    New York
    For my science fair project, I had done a water purification themed project, so I decided it would be great to collect water from the East River (since I live nearby) and purify it using my own methods. Is it legal to collect East River Water in New York? (I attached rocks to a water bottle and dropped it down to collect the river water)

2. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

3. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

People fish in that river, I've even seen people swimming in that river, I've seen a person urinating in that river, I suppose taking a little water isn't illegal or being taxed; YET!

The East River is not a River.

The East River is really a “salt water tidal strait” since it does not contain any fresh water.

If you wish to make the water potable, I suspect you'd also have to desalinate it.

East River mid-channel at Roosevelt Island - Riverkeeper

Into the murky waters: hundreds brave New York City's East River for annual swim

East River - Wikipedia

4. KJaemin

I just called DEP and the person receiving the phone call said that they didn't have that information and that I could try googling it. I had googled it before, I couldn't find anything on river water collection, but only rainwater collection.

5. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

I can't even conceive that it wouldn't be legal (unless your intent is to collect tens of thousands of gallons, which I assume isn't the case).

6. KJaemin

It would probably be about 1/3 gallon.