Is it legal to change rent without notice? Citation please?

Brian Moffatt

Jurisdiction
Minnesota
I'm looking for an answer to a silly question that will settle a debate I'm having with a family member. If a landlord changes your rent, how many days notice do they have to give you?

After doing some extensive research on GovInfo, I couldn't find a specific statute with an answer to my question. I'm assuming random rent changes aren't legal, but I'm missing the specific law and I need to cite it or he won't budge on his stance.

I'm assuming there needs to be a 30 days heads up at least. Can someone please help me find this? It would be super helpful! :D

After doing some extensive research on GovInfo, ...

The reason you couldn't find the information you were seeking on GovInfo is that site only covers information about the federal government and landlord-tenant law is a matter of state law. So the answer is going to vary a bit in each state to when and how much notice must be given of a rent increase. That means you need to look at the statutes and case law (court decisions) for the particular state where the property is rented to find the answer.

The reason you couldn't find the information you were seeking on GovInfo is that site only covers information about the federal government and landlord-tenant law is a matter of state law. So the answer is going to vary a bit in each state to when and how much notice must be given of a rent increase. That means you need to look at the statutes and case law (court decisions) for the particular state where the property is rented to find the answer.

My link is from the state of MN and specifically addresses the matter.

Yes, you have offered the OP useful information.

One caveat, the lease is always determinative.

A particular lease might have a 10 day notice provision, or a 90 day notice provision.

It is always helpful to read your existing lease first.

If there is no lease, then you should review the particular jurisdiction's statutes or ordinances.

But you didn't explain to Brian why he couldn't find the info he wanted using the site he was searching or what kinds of things he'd need to look at if he was doing his own search. Hence the reason for my reply. Give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime. :D

But you didn't explain to Brian why he couldn't find the info he wanted using the site he was searching or what kinds of things he'd need to look at if he was doing his own search. Hence the reason for my reply. Give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime. :D
Yes - you are correct. I didn't intend to say your answer was incorrect (or anything along those lines). I was just responding to the last sentence relating to the laws of the state in question.

Yes, you have offered the OP useful information.

One caveat, the lease is always determinative.

A particular lease might have a 10 day notice provision, or a 90 day notice provision.

It is always helpful to read your existing lease first.

If there is no lease, then you should review the particular jurisdiction's statutes or ordinances.
Fair enough :)

Back