Weapons, Guns, Firearms Is it legal in Texas for the Grand jury to raise the bond amount?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazycounty

My boyfriend was arrested on a felon with a firearm and evading arrest or by a vehicle. His bond was set for 5000 a piece. When we went and spoke with the lawyer he informed us that if this goes to the Grand jury and they indite him that his bond maybe rest at a high price. Does the Grand jury have the authority to do this after he has already been on bond?

My boyfriend was arrested on a felon with a firearm and evading arrest or detention by a vehicle. We are fighting the search of his car. His bond was set for 5000 a piece. When we went and spoke with the lawyer he informed us that if this goes to the Grand jury and they indite him that his bond maybe rest at a higher price. Does the Grand jury have the authority to do this after he has already been on bond?

My boyfriend was arrested on a felon with a firearm and evading arrest or detention by a vehicle. We are fighting the search of his car. His bond was set for 5000 a piece. When we went and spoke with the lawyer he informed us that if this goes to the Grand jury and they indite him that his bond maybe rest at a higher price. Does the Grand jury have the authority to do this after he has already been on bond?

The court sets the bond. The attorney may have been trying to tell you that the GJ could return an indictment (or indictments) for charges far more serious than those under which he currently stands accused.

If such indictments are handed up, the bond ante increases. He could also be indicted for more charges, in addition to those he knows about.

So if the charges stay the same as what he was arrested for then there should not be an increase? Sorry but I have never been in trouble before so all this is new to me.

So if the charges stay the same as what he was arrested for then there should not be an increase? Sorry but I have never been in trouble before so all this is new to me.

I thought your boyfriend was the one in trouble? Oh, well.
Bonds can be increased upon the request of the DA. You'll just need to wait and see what is determined in your (or his) case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back