Is he breaking the law?

DefineImaginary

Jurisdiction
Colorado
A really good friend of mine is sixteen going on seventeen living with her mother(custody battle) and her mother's boyfriend, who isn't related to her in any way. They don't always see eye to eye, but I think he's taken it too far.

He has taken her bedroom door off its hinges and is now starting to take her clothes. I was wondering if any of this is against the law?
An adult male is taking privacy and now personal belongings from a minor he isn't related to.

Her father and stepmother are about to go back to court for full custody and I'm wondering if anything this boyfriend is doing can help their case.

He has taken her bedroom door off its hinges and is now starting to take her clothes. I was wondering if any of this is against the law?

You're describing "parenting".

Very few children know what parenting is, because they've been spared it.

However, the "male" is acting under the mother's authority.

The unfortunate lass will be an adult in fewer than 24 months, upon which occasion she can leave the mother's home.

Here's a tip, in domestic relations cases, never badmouth the other parent.

You should endeavor to convince the court of what a GREAT parent you are, never mentioning what "crappy" parenting skills the other party possesses.

Why?

Because you're biased, and your conclusions tend to be self serving and subjective.

If he's taking the clothes with mom's consent, no, it's not against the law. Taking the door off isn't against the law at all.

Her father and stepmother are about to go back to court for full custody and I'm wondering if anything this boyfriend is doing can help their case.

It's just the father, not the father and stepmother. As far as the inquiry, whether it helps is up to the judge whom we obviously don't know. It certainly won't hurt.

A really good friend of mine is sixteen going on seventeen living with her mother(custody battle) and her mother's boyfriend, who isn't related to her in any way. They don't always see eye to eye, but I think he's taken it too far.

An adult male is taking privacy and now personal belongings from a minor he isn't related to.

If the mom allows it then nothing they can do. The father (because the stepmother also is not related and legally has no standing. She has about as much standing legally as the boyfriend) can perhaps bring it up but I don't think it will help. Maybe the mom told him to do it because she wasn't home. Parents can discipline their kids and if they allow someone else to do it - as long as there isn't abuse or neglect - they can do it.

She can leave of her own free will when she turns 18 or maybe her dad will get custody. Who knows?

No, there is no law that required bedrooms have doors. She does not have a right to a room with a door or any set amount of privacy. Taking away possessions from misbehaving children is incredibly common and in no way illegal.

Back