Is defamation lawsuit worth it?

ioof_pmodel

Jurisdiction
Washington
A false statement and was made by an individual, claiming that I had verbally attacked her based on her physical feature.

The individual then proceeded to spread this falsified information to purposefully harm my business and personal relationships. I have since then faced challenges both personally and professionally directly in relation to the accusation.

As far as proof and evidences go, I may be able to get them in writing/messages & texts and numerous verbal statement of proof.

I also have a witness who was present at a scene where the "false statement"/accusation took place originally.

Thank you

Last edited:
There's no way we can tell whether something is "worth it" for you.

Defamation suits are expensive and, in your case, I suspect that the other party's opinion of the event is different than yours.

Is defamation lawsuit worth it?

You appear to be over reacting and making a mountain out of a mole hill. I suggest you develop a thicker skin, get over it, and stay over it.

However, you are welcome to consult an attorney and review your options.

You appear to be over reacting and making a mountain out of a mole hill. I suggest you develop a thicker skin, get over it, and stay over it.

However, you are welcome to consult an attorney and review your options.

Of course, I am to do whatever I decide I want to do. I'm here ultimately to best make an informed decision.

I also have a witness who was present at a scene where the "false statement"/accusation took place originally.

Well, that's helpful to you. But even with that defamation can be hard to win and costly to litigate. All the details matter here and we don't have them. You ought to consult a defamation attorney or two to see what they think. Most offer free initial consultations.

The answer is what do you expect to get out of the suit? If you have quantifiable tangible damages or the defamation is so bad as to qualify as libel per se, you might be able to recoup something. Lawsuits are not properly bought just for "revenge" however.

The other question is whether the person actually can pay the judgement or whether the publicity of the suit will further sully your reputation. As famous attorney Louis Nizer once put it, it's sort of like having mud splashed on your coat. You can aggressively fight it, smearing it all over the place into a real mess, or you can do nothing and allow it to dry up and flake off with time.

Back