1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Is defamation lawsuit worth it?

Discussion in 'Defamation, Libel & Slander' started by ioof_pmodel, Oct 8, 2021.

Tags:
  1. ioof_pmodel

ioof_pmodel Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Washington
    A false statement and was made by an individual, claiming that I had verbally attacked her based on her physical feature.

The individual then proceeded to spread this falsified information to purposefully harm my business and personal relationships. I have since then faced challenges both personally and professionally directly in relation to the accusation.

As far as proof and evidences go, I may be able to get them in writing/messages & texts and numerous verbal statement of proof.

I also have a witness who was present at a scene where the "false statement"/accusation took place originally.

Thank you

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  2. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

There's no way we can tell whether something is "worth it" for you.

Defamation suits are expensive and, in your case, I suspect that the other party's opinion of the event is different than yours.

Red Kayak and ioof_pmodel like this.
  3. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

You appear to be over reacting and making a mountain out of a mole hill. I suggest you develop a thicker skin, get over it, and stay over it.

However, you are welcome to consult an attorney and review your options.

Disabled Vet likes this.
  4. ioof_pmodel

Of course, I am to do whatever I decide I want to do. I'm here ultimately to best make an informed decision.

5. ioof_pmodel

Thank you for your response.

6. Tax Counsel

Tax Counsel Well-Known Member

Well, that's helpful to you. But even with that defamation can be hard to win and costly to litigate. All the details matter here and we don't have them. You ought to consult a defamation attorney or two to see what they think. Most offer free initial consultations.

Red Kayak and ioof_pmodel like this.
  7. flyingron

flyingron Well-Known Member

The answer is what do you expect to get out of the suit? If you have quantifiable tangible damages or the defamation is so bad as to qualify as libel per se, you might be able to recoup something. Lawsuits are not properly bought just for "revenge" however.

The other question is whether the person actually can pay the judgement or whether the publicity of the suit will further sully your reputation. As famous attorney Louis Nizer once put it, it's sort of like having mud splashed on your coat. You can aggressively fight it, smearing it all over the place into a real mess, or you can do nothing and allow it to dry up and flake off with time.

8. ioof_pmodel

Great, this is helpful comment. Thank you.

9. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

No one here can intelligently opine whether something is or isn't "worth it" to you. That's a decision only you can make, and you should seek consultation with a local attorney.

If you want information, you'll need to ask questions.