Modifying a Lease Is advertising on Craigslist for a roommate a form of subletting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ricekitty

I recently am having some issues with my current roommate and not being able to get a hold of him. I talked to my leasing office about it because we are all on the lease and he said that he is aware that our apartment has some subletting issues lately and that it isn't allowed.

Subletting? How? We are all on the lease. He notes that there's a bit of activity of people coming and going on the history. I tell him that's because they have stuff that comes up and that's originally how I had moved into the apartment as well. My previous roommates was someone who was here in the US professionally on a visa and needed somewhere to stay for a few months or the original roommate that I agreed to move in with eventually moved out to go live with her boyfriend. He then asks me if I put ads up. I tell him yes, because how else would I be able to find a roommate to share the apartment with? I don't put the apartment's name or anything in the ad but he says placing the ad up is a form of subletting and that it's not allowed.

I then tell him... well, how do you expect me to find a roommate to share the apartment with? Everyone who has ever come and gone through the apartment, I have always placed onto the lease and have had them do the background check. The whole thing before I let them move in.

So ... is putting a ad up on craigslist to replace my roommate a form of subletting? (even though I have them screened by the leasing office and signed onto the lease?)

If that's what your landlord told you, yes. I suggest you simply find a CHEAPER apartment, or stop subletting. Apparently you or the LL aren't communicating with each other well.

Seek clarification before you bring someone you've found on a Craigslist ad to add on your lease. Craigslist is full of all manner of scammers, rapists, robbers, thieves, and murderers. I'd be very uncomfortable sleeping in the same apartment with a Craigslist killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back