Is a 17 year old considered an adult?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmma1992

I have a 17 year old daughter whom the police and other agencies have told me is legally an adult, but yet I am responsible for her if something were to happen. She is a "stay away" and not considered a runaway as we know where she is. She is couch surfing between friends and a boyfriend. I've been told that there is legally nothing I can do. I have filed a PINS petition, but the court is telling me this could take months before it is even heard.

I have a 17 year old daughter whom the police and other agencies have told me is legally an adult, but yet I am responsible for her if something were to happen. She is a "stay away" and not considered a runaway as we know where she is. She is couch surfing between friends and a boyfriend. I've been told that there is legally nothing I can do. I have filed a PINS petition, but the court is telling me this could take months before it is even heard.

She isn't LEGALLY an adult until she is 18 years old.

However, in many states, a 17 year old is treated as an adult insofar as criminal charges result.

Many states do not enforce truancy violations against 17 year old people, that however, does not make them an adult or decriminalize the charge.

Many states take the position that 17 year old individuals are so close to adulthood, that they accorded most of the responsibilities of adults with the privileges.

Yes, PINS petitions can take 6-8 months to be heard.

Most 17 year old children will be adults before a ruling can be made.

I don't agree with this reasoning, but I didn't agree with 18 year old citizens being granted adult status, either!

Nevertheless, it is the law by which we are required to obey.

do you want your 17 year old home? did you give her permission to leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back