IRS Imposing Unjust Penalty - How to Fight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucol

The IRS is imposing a penalty on us that seems to be unfair and against their own rules. The penalty is IRC Section 6662(a) and states that a 20% penalty is to be applied on the increased tax.

The issue stems from an inherited retirement account which was not reported as we thought it had already been reported and paid by the estate. Taxes were already paid on it at the time of the distribution, but it turns out it was not enough. Uncle Sam wanted more.

On the worksheet they provided in the audit it has two lines towards the bottom:
1. Amount of Tax Increase: $6000
2. Payment Increase: $3000

Since some of the taxes were already paid during the tax year (and also unclaimed on the return) the true actual new tax due was $3000 and not $6000. The IRS claims the penalty should still be imposed because the tax increase (not accounting for unreported payments previously made during the tax year) is what applies and since it exceeds $5000 the penalty is due, whereas we see it that the true tax increase is $3000 and that's what should be used to calculate the penalty. We already disputed this once; however, the IRS said "no way". It seems they are bullying us because clearly we cannot afford an attorney and they and we know the penalty is probably less than an attorney would cost, but it seems to me they are wrong and since the IRC section does not specifically define which value to use they are using the one that is to their advantage.

Anyone have any advice on how to fight this? Case law we can cite or otherwise in our 2nd reply?

Thank you to anyone who can help.

Last edited:
Everything the IRS does is unfair, unjust, and illegal.
You can appeal, but you appeal to them.
That would be like appealing to satan, if you found yourself sentenced to an eternity of Hell.

Do you think you'd receive a fair trial?

If you have a lot of money and want to prove a point, you can hire an attorney and POSSIBLY have their usurious charges reversed.

Otherwise, submit to their pillaging and looting of your assets.
Resistance is often futile.
Should you resist them, and they prevail, they will only look for other ways to make your life a nightmare and living hell.

Give the buggers their tribute and get them out of your finances and life.

I absolutely agree with AJ.

Completely.

10000000%.

I managed to successfully discharge back taxes and obtain a release of the darned lien (pro se, no less - go me)...and I'm STILL waiting - even though I'm sitting here looking at the ROFTL as I type - for them to update their gawshforsaken computer records to reflect that.

This happened a couple of years ago. This year they STILL initially withheld the tax refund - I had to go through the Tax Advocate folk to get my well-deserved refund.

With that said, I do have a letter from the TA folk apologising no less than FIVE times in one missive (once per paragraph) for the mistakes made by our lovely IRS. I was stunned.

Then I framed the letter. It's hanging in my dining room. It is a reminder that even when they're dead wrong, sometimes us little humans actually WIN :)

I absolutely agree with AJ.

Completely.

10000000%.

I managed to successfully discharge back taxes and obtain a release of the darned lien (pro se, no less - go me)...and I'm STILL waiting - even though I'm sitting here looking at the ROFTL as I type - for them to update their gawshforsaken computer records to reflect that.

This happened a couple of years ago. This year they STILL initially withheld the tax refund - I had to go through the Tax Advocate folk to get my well-deserved refund.

With that said, I do have a letter from the TA folk apologising no less than FIVE times in one missive (once per paragraph) for the mistakes made by our lovely IRS. I was stunned.

Then I framed the letter. It's hanging in my dining room. It is a reminder that even when they're dead wrong, sometimes us little humans actually WIN :)

Sorry you had to experience that, Proserpina.

But, you have lived the nightmare, the terror, the abuse, the lies, and the treachery.

You're still living it, but you have that useless letter.

I don't blame you for keeping it.

When no one else could take down Al Capone, the IRS did.

Elliot Ness and his untouchables failed to nick old Al.

Not that old Al didn't deserve to be taken down, but for goodness sakes, do it legally!

Even when you win, you lose.

I fought them once and won.

Coincidentally, I was audited for three straight years.

Just random luck, I was told.

Give those thugs a wide berth, a very wide berth.

I just as soon as make a deal with the treacherous Kil Jung il than those Illicit Revenue Scammer goons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back