IRA Funds

LittleLaura

Jurisdiction
New York
I guess I'm just wondering which direction I should go to start researching whether or not I have a case. Not necessarily advice, per say. Although I am definitely open to hear what you have to say.

Here's the situation: My mom died 11 years ago, my dad wasn't in the picture. So when she was dying I was handling medical/ financial decisions. It was too much for me to manage so i signed power of attorney over to my grandma and aunt. A lot of sketchy financial things went down, but i won't get into details. Just know that I've never felt like my grandma and aunt did anything in my best interest.

As part of my parents divorce my mom got half of my dads IRA. somehow, I am not exactly sure when or where, that IRA was signed over to my aunt. Here I am , 11 years later i have the balls to finally ask her if i can have these funds signed over to me bc i want control of them. And she says no, you wont get it until i die.

I don't know how she got control of those funds, I feel like maybe the will was amended. And if it were it was most definitely done when my mom wasn't in a condition to make that decision.

My question to you is what should be my first steps? Try to get my hands on the will and see the date of that specific decision? And if I do get proof that this was handed over to my aunt when my mom was literally on her deathbed, do i have grounds to take her to court? I'm sorry this is so long winded but I don't know where to turn for advice besides actually going out and hiring a lawyer.

She could have done many things with a PoA so how do you say you don't know how she got control? You gave her control.

You really need to speak with an estate attorney to figure out what's what. You can't deal with this on an Internet forum.

She could have done many things with a PoA so how do you say you don't know how she got control? You gave her control.

You really need to speak with an estate attorney to figure out what's what. You can't deal with this on an Internet forum.

Eventually, yes, I would like to speak with an attorney. However, I would like to do the research myself. I'm just looking for a direction to move forward in.
From what I'm gathering it would be to contact the lawyer who drafted my mother's will, yes?

Well that's probably a good starting point. If that attorney can't go further with this then he/she can probably refer you to one who can.

I understand you want to do research on your own, but you really need professional help here.

Back