Internet Scam/Fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverF

Hi, this will be my second time typing this, somehow it didn't post :p

I saw an ad on the internet, an item I was interested in. I contacted the seller. Worked out a deal, sent him a money order and haven't heard anything since. I got taken, I see that. Lesson learned. Now please help me get my money back.

Well I have his address, name, phone #'s, everything. I have been trying to get a hold of him and he never answers, or claims it isn't him. Wouldn't the money order have an ID # on it that would track it to him cashing it and it coming from my bank? I also have all the emails regarding the purchase etc. I also have proof it was delivered (thank god for tracking #'s fedex).

What is the best route of action for me to take? I know about the IFCC and the national white collar crime center, I prefer to use these as a last resort. Should I contact the police department in his area and file a complaint in mine too? What can I legally do? What about small claims court, he does live quite a distance away though.

What is this crime? Fraud, theft, conning, scamming, what?

Any help is very much appreciated, thank you for your time!

Thank you!!!!!!

while there might be criminal charges warranted, that won't make you get you money back. Getting your money back is a civil matter. He is guity of breach of contract, so you have a tort case against him.

Depending on what sum of money was involved you sue him, probably in small claims court in the jurisdiction where he lives at. And that is the bad part. If he lives outside your state you must sue him in a state court of his state. That could mean much more money for you to spend than the matter is worth.

First thing is you write him a demand letter, demanding repayment of your money and making clear that if you don't get it back you will sue.

At the same time try to find out if your bank can trace the money order. If you can't, then things look very dim for you since you cannot prove that he ever cashed the M.O.

There might be federal mail fraud charges but, as NYClex said, it will still be a long time before you get your money back. It's difficult to say what information may be contained on the money order until you go to the source of the order to determine what information they can provide to you.

I would call Fedex and request a copy of the delivery and the signature -- they keep records of the name and signature of the person who signed for the parcel. From there you can determine the steps which might be necessary with greater clarity.

As I'm guessing this is a small amount of money, don't expect government assistance quickly. Your fraud might be small in comparison -- however, that does not mean you don't make a complaint. Usually these people have a history of such scams and they might be on the list for prosecution due to multiple scams.
Originally posted by SilverF
Hi, this will be my second time typing this, somehow it didn't post :p

I saw an ad on the internet, an item I was interested in. I contacted the seller. Worked out a deal, sent him a money order and haven't heard anything since. I got taken, I see that. Lesson learned. Now please help me get my money back.

Well I have his address, name, phone #'s, everything. I have been trying to get a hold of him and he never answers, or claims it isn't him. Wouldn't the money order have an ID # on it that would track it to him cashing it and it coming from my bank? I also have all the emails regarding the purchase etc. I also have proof it was delivered (thank god for tracking #'s fedex).

What is the best route of action for me to take? I know about the IFCC and the national white collar crime center, I prefer to use these as a last resort. Should I contact the police department in his area and file a complaint in mine too? What can I legally do? What about small claims court, he does live quite a distance away though.

What is this crime? Fraud, theft, conning, scamming, what?

Any help is very much appreciated, thank you for your time!

Thank you!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back