Internet forum libel against me

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjames

I was a member of a large internet forum. It currently has over 6,000 people browsing it at the moment and I'm sure it well exceeds that during peak hours. We recently had a real life function so we could hang out and get to know each other. Even the website owner decided to join us. So I discovered that one girl and I live pretty close to each so we exchanged phone numbers and I suggested that we should hang since we also frequent some of the same establishments and she agreed. For the first few days, we exchanged texts with no problem and set up a tentative day to hang out. She said she'd let me know when we get closer to the day. When the day came, I didn't hear from her so I sent a couple of texts to ask her what her plans were. I then discovered that Google Voice was glitching and I wasn't receiving texts from some people so I gave her a call just in case that was the case with her as well and left a message describing as such.

A couple of days later, I discovered that I had been banned from the internet forum by the owner for being a stalker and threatened to involve the authorities should further stalker activities take place. Now had this been a private message between myself and him, I wouldn't have given it much thought but he also posted it on the internet forum for all to see. I never received a text telling me to cease contact with her so I had no idea that she wasn't interested. Had I received a simple "I'm not interested" or "Please stop contacting me" I would have done so. Girls have said as much before and I didn't go ballistic.

Now we took a lot of photos at the function and I was in many of them. My face is attached to my username on an internet forum with plenty of viewership. I don't want to be known as a stalker when all I really did was try to hang out with a girl. I was able to get in contact with a few regulars on the forum and shared my side and they suggested that I seek legal counsel for libel.

So, do I have anything or should I just walk away?

EDIT: It also seems that the website owner and the girl in question may be romantically involved now.

Last edited:
If what you're telling me is true, it sounds like you may have a clear case for defamation aka "libel" in this instance. Was any police report filed? The website owner may feel that his ownership of the site allows him to do whatever he wants - and this would be far from the truth. This also is not uncommon, unfortunately.

I don't know how much of this all matters to you or how badly you were defamed. But if it is nearly as bad as you imply (and you don't need to state specifically), the fact that it is still up and potentially seen by thousands of people in your local area may lead you to wanting to seek legal counsel. If the site is making money as it implies, an attorney may take the case on contingency based upon a settlement amount if the facts are relatively open and shut. Note that defamation cases are generally never handled on a "contingency" basis but one may handle it in a hybrid fashion. Such a lawsuit is of the type which could significantly affect membership as there doesn't seem to have been any reason to have publicly made statements to "explain" the matter. As a result of this potential leverage, it is possible that the attorney may be able to move this case towards a quick settlement as litigation would prove to be costly.

Do note that I haven't seen the forum, don't know specifically what was stated nor the extent of the damage. As a result, the above are general thoughts making many assumptions.

Just walk away there are tons of other forums

Normally I'd agree but the problem here is more complex. The OP is complaining about a forum owner who made him a poster boy for being identified as a neighborhood stalker. It's not as if his account was banned and he's hoping to get back on the forum.

If what you're telling me is true, it sounds like you may have a clear case for defamation aka "libel" in this instance. Was any police report filed? The website owner may feel that his ownership of the site allows him to do whatever he wants - and this would be far from the truth. This also is not uncommon, unfortunately.

I don't know how much of this all matters to you or how badly you were defamed. But if it is nearly as bad as you imply (and you don't need to state specifically), the fact that it is still up and potentially seen by thousands of people in your local area may lead you to wanting to seek legal counsel. If the site is making money as it implies, an attorney may take the case on contingency based upon a settlement amount if the facts are relatively open and shut. Note that defamation cases are generally never handled on a "contingency" basis but one may handle it in a hybrid fashion. Such a lawsuit is of the type which could significantly affect membership as there doesn't seem to have been any reason to have publicly made statements to "explain" the matter. As a result of this potential leverage, it is possible that the attorney may be able to move this case towards a quick settlement as litigation would prove to be costly.

Do note that I haven't seen the forum, don't know specifically what was stated nor the extent of the damage. As a result, the above are general thoughts making many assumptions.

I haven't submitted a police report as of yet. I didn't know what recourse I had available to me in this situation.

The website does make quite a bit of money from ad traffic. According to worthofweb.com, it makes more than $40,000 a month and over $4 million in a year. I rounded down the figures a bit but it is obviously a profitable enterprise for him. Money, however, is not my main concern nor is returning to the forum. I just want my good name back.

I thank you for your response and will take it to heart as to whether or not I should seek legal consultation.

OP, a lawsuit can not restore your reputation.

All it will do, is mete out a monetary award; should you prevail.

Many a plaintiff will prevail in a case similar to thIs, but their reputation will forever remain sullied.

Restoring a good name is something no court can do.

If it is possible, you'll be the one attempting to accomplish that.

Most plaintiffs never restore their reputation.

Many never receive a monetary award.

Gossip can be very harmful.

OP, a lawsuit can not restore your reputation.

All it will do, is mete out a monetary award; should you prevail.

Many a plaintiff will prevail in a case similar to thIs, but their reputation will forever remain sullied.

Restoring a good name is something no court can do.

If it is possible, you'll be the one attempting to accomplish that.

Most plaintiffs never restore their reputation.

Many never receive a monetary award.

Gossip can be very harmful.

I think I'm beginning to understand that. Thank you for your input. I suppose this is a life lesson to keep one's internet life and real life as separate as possible.

Oh wait...you meant was a police report filed against me? No, I don't believe one has.
Yes, that is what I meant.

As of right now it seems that the owner refuses to take down the notice he put up. The lawsuit may be needed to take down the information since this person is foolhardy enough to post what may be false information. If you have to be put through this pain, the money - as army judge put it - will only be to help you cope with the damage to your reputation. The problem here is that there isn't an easy way to send a "takedown notice" regarding your reputation. If an attorney is involved, you're going to have to go for the jugular. You should speak to an attorney and determine what your options are. Fortunately in this case there are deep pockets involved which may provide more incentive for an attorney to get involved and give you more options. It's unfortunately the best you can do.

One note - you probably will want/need to sue this mystery woman as well. She may have fabricated a story to the forum owner who, perhaps innocently (but completely foolishly) decided to post it as is.

Best of luck with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back