Wisconsin Insurance Refund- two policy

T

Twoinsplcy

Jurisdiction
Wisconsin
Background: my ex-wife and myself have medical insurance on my son from a divorce order. Her insurance goes first and pays like the eob shows. My insurance goes next and always ends up with a payment to the doctor and a refund to me.

Upon getting these check I call the insurance company up to verify they are valid and explain what happened along with always asking them why I get them. Each time they have told me that it's an overage through the discounts and both companies payments. They further have told me I can keep and cash these checks.

I recently got a survey saying I have 2 weeks to verify the 2nd coverage for benefit coordination
And attach the divorce order stating who's responsible for my sons coverage.

Questions:
Is what Cigna told me correct, could I legally cash those checks?

If no, can they come back for their money through collections/lawsuit even though their employees said I can cash these checks?

With this questionnaire I got from them if I don't respond can they use it as a denial of future covereage for my son and I, or even refuse to cover both of us?

The reason I ask these questions is because i don't want to see any legal action taken against me because Cignas employees gave me the wrong information.

I recently got a survey saying I have 2 weeks to verify the 2nd coverage for benefit coordination
And attach the divorce order stating who's responsible for my sons coverage.

It is very, very, very common for an insurance company to periodically confirm that the information on file is still correct.

I can't carve it in stone for you since I have not personally read your policies. However, I have no reason to believe that what they told you is incorrect.

If no, can they come back for their money through collections/lawsuit even though their employees said I can cash these checks?

See above

With this questionnaire I got from them if I don't respond can they use it as a denial of future covereage for my son and I, or even refuse to cover both of us?

Yes. But not for the reason you evidently think. You seem to be operating on the assumption that they asked this question because they suspect you of some irregularity and that you have been given wrong information in the past. That is almost certainly not the case. They sent you that survey because they send it periodically to EVERYONE who has two policies. You are not being singled out; they are not indirectly telling you that the refunds you received were in error. This may be the first time you've been asked to confirm the information - it will not be the last. But make no mistake; you will receive no further payments until you've responded to the questionaire.

The reason I ask these questions is because i don't want to see any legal action taken against me because Cignas employees gave me the wrong information.

Nothing you have said suggests that anything the Cigna employees gave you is incorrect.

Questions:

Insurance companies don't issue checks, as you know them.
Insurance companies issue drafts.
Other than a physical resemblance, they don't function the same way.
Don't ever act upon what anyone "tells you verbally".
Act only if the answer has been communicated to you in "writing".

Bear in mind, if you do use the checks/drafts, that won't preclude another party from using a legal remedy to come against you.

If an instruction isn't in writing, what do you think?
If I were facing your dilemma, I wouldn't act unless the directove to do so was in writing.
I still wouldn't act, if the funds were supposed to go to another party under an existing court order.
I'd obey the order and deliver the funds to the other party.

That, my friend, is a question you should direct IN WRITING to the insurance company, so you could receive an answer in writing.

Then, do what I do when I face such a dilemma, DEW NUTTIN.
Be advised, no one can give you permission to do something that will bar another person from suing you, but a judge in the form of a written court order!!!

Back