1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Insurance question

Discussion in 'Life Insurance, Annuities & Other' started by Tanika, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tanika

Tanika Law Topic Starter New Member

My boyfriend was killed in an automobile accident 4 months ago. He left me a 25000 life insurance policy. His daughter is handling his estate. I tried to file on the life insurance , but the compaby says I have they need some records because he died during the contestability claim period. I could not get the medical records they have requested. I sent them the death certificate and all the info that I had. They requested medical records and the doctors office refused to send them citing hippa laws. I`m not on speaking terms with daughter and don`t know what to do. Is ther a way to get those records without me being executor of estate? Is this unusual for a company to do this?

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

No, the insurance company is simply following the terms of the policy.

To collect on most life insurance policies, one has to play by the insurance companies rules.

As a NON-RELATIVE, you have very little standing to receive much information.

The estate is of no moment or consequence to you as a beneficiary of a life insurance policy.

You might wish to speak with a local attorney and see if there is something that he or she could do to facilitate your collection of the alleged proceeds.

3. Betty3

Betty3 Super Moderator

Agree with getting an attorney to see if he/she can help with obtaining the necessary medical records. I worked for a life ins. co. & the co. has every right to verify if the policy is payable when it is in the contestable period.