Colorado Insurance power over time

Brad66chevelle

Jurisdiction
Colorado
I have a simple question and hopefully I'm on the right Forum area for it. I recently got surgery and had to fight my insurance company to approve it due to tobacco use. I have quit the tobacco but my doctor said something that made me wonder. The doctor said that I had better stay off any form of tobacco for about 2 years since the insurance company can go back and test me and then go after me for the money on the surgery. I have never heard of such a thing and I figure if the insurance company has already approved it and paid for it that they couldn't retroactively come after me. Can anyone help me out here whether or not they can do this and where do I stand with the law. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Brad66ch

Hard to say, but I'd simply avoid tobacco to avoid additional legal entanglements.

Or, you could use tobacco and see if what you were told is really true.

Your life, your rules, right?

Did you happen to claim you were a no smoker on you original or any later insurance applications or paperwork? If so, you were possibly rated at a lower premium which could be considered fraud if you actually are a smoker...

Thank you for your reply. I don't plan on using tobacco as I had to quit to get the surgery. I'm just questioning whether they have the right to retroactively go after me.

Hard to say, but I'd simply avoid tobacco to avoid additional legal entanglements.

Or, you could use tobacco and see if what you were told is really true.

Your life, your rules, right?

If they based your premium on a false premise (I'm trying not to say, if you lied on your application) then yes, they have the right to retroactively "go after you".

The doctor said that I had better stay off any form of tobacco for about 2 years since the insurance company can go back and test me and then go after me for the money on the surgery.

Your doctor doesn't sell insurance and your insurance agent doesn't perform surgery.

I'm just questioning whether they have the right to retroactively go after me.

There is only one place you are going to get the answer to that question.

Look in your policy or plan booklet (contract) that explains your rights and obligations of both you and the insurance company.

Back