Inherited Debt and Partnership

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeedtoKnow2288

My father-in-law just died. He left a house and 12 acres, free and clear, and 3 life insurance policies to his wife (my husband's step-mother). He left 65 acres of pecan orchards to my husband. There is a mortgage against this property for $145,000. He also stated that my husband must give his sister $25,000. And the worst part is that he stated that my husband must give 20% of pecan profits to the step-mother FOR LIFE. This land has been in this family since the 19th century. This is the first time a woman has been left with a piece of the property, and it's splitting up the heritage that my husband has always been promised. How can he get out of the inherited partnership with the step-mother? Can he transfer the property to a trust or sell it to me or to someone else and still manage it?

My father-in-law just died. He left a house and 12 acres, free and clear, and 3 life insurance policies to his wife (my husband's step-mother). He left 65 acres of pecan orchards to my husband. There is a mortgage against this property for $145,000. He also stated that my husband must give his sister $25,000. And the worst part is that he stated that my husband must give 20% of pecan profits to the step-mother FOR LIFE. This land has been in this family since the 19th century. This is the first time a woman has been left with a piece of the property, and it's splitting up the heritage that my husband has always been promised. How can he get out of the inherited partnership with the step-mother? Can he transfer the property to a trust or sell it to me or to someone else and still manage it?

Can someone please help with this? THANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back