Inheritance question - please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffy63

My mother married her second husband 20 years ago. In 1993, they drew up a will, dividing their property equally amongst all of their 6 children, upon their deaths. I am my mother's only child; my stepfather has 5 children.

My mother died of cancer in early January. About 6 weeks before she died, her father's estate was settled and she received a large sum of money. At this time, she was very ill and unable to change her will to ensure I received this money. She verbally told me, as well as other family members, that she wanted me to have the money.

My stepfather refuses to discuss it and is showing no signs of passing this money to me. My grandfather's will stated that I was to receive this money if my mother predeceased me.

Do I have any hope in obtaining this money? I'm in Connecticut. Thanks.

Her will controls how her estate is divided. It is unlikely that you will be able to claim anything that is not listed in the will.

The terms of your grandfather's will have no bearing legally and it appears that your stepfather has no interest in following your mother's wishes. I suggest that you take the will to an estate attorney who can provide you with additional advice based on the laws of your state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back