Drug Crimes, Substance Abuse informers identity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do I have the right to know who, if anyone, turned me in to the police?

Specifically? No.

Did you have a warrant and someone dimed you off? Or, were you engaged in illegal activity and you are tryin gto find out who dimed you off to the cops?

Do I have the right to know who, if anyone, turned me in to the police?

At the moment, no.
Eventually, after you've been indicted or charged, arrested, and arraigned; you surely do have the constitutional right to confront your accuser(s).

The world will eventually learn the identity of the little rat that ate your cheese, boss. It takes time, but good things come to thee who wait.

The rats or snitches can be hidden for a limited amount of time.

So,if you're arrested, immediately INVOKE your right to shut your trap, and your right to have a lawyer.
You simply bide your time, allow your lawyer to do what lawyers do, and eventually after you have pled not guilty, requested a jury trial, your accuser will be commanded into court for you and the world to see.

In the meantime, be smart, stop yammering, plead not guilty, get yourself a mouthpiece, or request the court to appoint a public defender (assuming you qualify), and wait for the process to unfold.

The right to confront your accuser only extends to the party bringing actions or allegations against you. It does not extend to those who informed the police of your whereabouts or made an initial report of alleged wrongdoing. In some cases, even the police do not know. If an anonymous someone calls the police to report a break in or suspected drug use, or tells them where to find Joe Schmoe, you will never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back