Information regarding a car accident caused by a dealership's poor mechanical service

A

Ande52

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
Dear Sir or Ma'am:

I had purchased a car from JD Byrider auto dealership in Allentown in February of 2016. After some haggling, I got my car inspected there in July of 2016. On October 24, 2016, the left front wheel came completely off my car due to the lug bolts/nuts not being tightened completely. The dealership was the only people who have worked on my car. I was not injured but there was damage to the vehicle and I was left without a vehicle for just over 2 weeks. My insurance company paid for the damage repairs except for my deductible, and the repairs were done at a different dealership. While the repair shop mechanics were doing the repairs, it was found that the brake pads were completely gone as well as a rotor for the brakes. In addition, the ball joints were worn out and had to be replaced. When the mechanics that were repairing my car took the right side front wheel off to change the brake pads there, they notified me that those lug bolts/nuts were also loose and had to be replaced. I do not have a copy of my inspection report from July because JD Byrider never gave me a copy. Since I wanted to review how thick the brake pads were when they inspected it, I went to JD Byrider and requested a copy of my inspection report. I was informed that they did not have any report on my car, for any repairs or for the inspection. I had had the car back there 2 times before the inspection complaining about the noise in the front end and was told it was from very hard, and high quality (in their words) brake pads and I should not worry about anything as there was nothing they could do. I was also informed that JD Byrider could not make me a copy of any work that was done on the car before I purchased it, they could only make copies of any work done since I purchased it.

My questions are this: 1) Since they failed to tighten not one but 2 of my wheels lug bolts/nuts, do I have any sort of case against them for their negligence? 2) Are inspection stations not required by law to keep copies of their inspection reports on their premises/in the files of that shop? I was told that the reports were sent to the state every few months and once they are sent, JD Byrider no longer has to keep that copy.

>>>We don't allow personal information to be posted here publicly.
It is for our protection and yours.
Your personal details were redacted by a moderator.
We don't offer legal advice.
We offer suggestions, and will discuss the issue with you.
Legal advice comes from a lawyer in your jurisdiction that your hire.<<<

Last edited by a moderator:
The bets way to learn if your concerns amount to issues with a legal remedy is to speak with three or four licensed lawyers in yoru county.

Most of the time, you'll learn after two such meetings what options, if any, exist.

Lawyers provide the consultations NORMALLY at no charge or continued obligation.

This is the PA OFFICIAL state inspection program website.
Safety Inspection Program
You can contact someone on the site and ask any questions you desire.

Back