Indoor fireplace-Nuisance Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancleg

*Please keep your personal feelings about the use of wood heat to yourself :)*

My neighbors both have indoor wood-burning fireplaces that send smoke into my home. One has mostly quit using theirs, but the other uses theirs all day, every day once the weather gets colder. The smoke is making me sick. I've contacted the health department, and they state there is nothing they can do, even though their nuisance law should apply. The landlord states that SOME agency told him that if it's inside the home, there's nothing that can be done. Being mobile homes, wood fires are EXTREMELY dangerous, and a lot of people I've talked to didn't even think they were legal. My research indicates that sealing the home won't work, plus I'd like to be able to GO OUTSIDE once in a while! On top of it, even if we could afford the huge expense of moving the home, we'd possibly have the same problem elsewhere. I'm at my wits-end! How can it be true that nothing can be done if it's inside?

Contact your city councilperson and/or your county commissioner. They might be able to assist you.

I suspect this is big business in colder climates during winter.

That's why no one wants to tackle it.
If there was a law prohibiting this activity, I'm sure they'd get involved.

Think about the smoke a BBQ grill puts out. To some the smoke is offensive, others love it. I suspect that is what you're finding with fireplace smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back