independent contractor not paid after 40 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

klawson26

I am an individual who was hired by a public school as an independent contractor. They asked me to provide them with an employment agreement. So I made one up on my own and we both signed it. It basically said that I would be hired for the 2008-09 school year, that I would do the duties of the position, my hourly rate of pay and the maximum hours per week (24.5 per their indication). It also said either party could terminate and that the laws of our state (IL) would apply.

I started work 8/21/08 and have worked 24.5 hours per week since that time. They told me that I would need to submit invoices and that the Board of Education would approve them and pay me. The first meeting was to be 9/8 so I had my invoice in on 9/4. After inquiring when I had not received any money by the end of September, I was told I had missed the submission date and would not receive any income until 10/17 or later (after the next board meeting).

I was never informed that there were submission dates or I would have had my invoice in by that time. I now risk not being able to pay my bills (e.g.-mortgate)and risk ruining what had been excellent credit rating. I have approached the district about what, if anything can be done in this situation and have been met with some sympathetic words but no action.

Is there anything I can do or should expect them to do in this situation?

Since you are an IC, you do not fall under employment law. Your recourse is to sue them in small claims or the appropriate civil court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back