Incorrect apartment fees, facing eviction now

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan

Facts:
I have been charged incorrect damage fees, landlord took my rent money and paid the fees and now wants to evict me. (no official eviction notice yet just by email)

Details:
I currently live in a college student apartment complex with an individual lease although I have roommates I am only responsible for my rent and damages in my room, with shared common areas such as living room and kitchen. Last year I lived in the same complex with the same type of lease and with horrible roommates who became drug dealers while I lived with them. I made a huge mistake in renewing my lease for this school year but I did that before things went wrong with last years lease. I actually requested to be moved when I found out what was going on in my apartment, contacted police and they told me to ask landlord to move me. She was but it took so long that the lease ended, her excuse was that she was waiting for her key making machine to be fixed to make me my key for the transfer apartment. The old roommates never paid utility bills, electricity was shut down twice they had people there smoking marijuana all the time and I always told them to stop or I would call the cops and they would stop or just do it in there rooms but would then start again in the kitchen and living room after a few days. I did call the cops once but nothing happened because they hid everything when they got there. These guys cause about $300 in common area damages at a brand new apartment which I guess I do have to pay because it is on the lease.

The other fees:
The rest of the money I am being charged is for bedroom fees but I am being charged for Bedroom B and I lived in Bedroom A. I received a letter with all the things I am being charged with and know it was not for my room. I always kept my room clean and with no damages ever. I know I am being charged for the wrong room because they are listing a door had to be replaced and that was my roommates door because he forgot his keys once and decided to kick his door off to get some drugs in there probably. Many other things listed were clearly from his room that I remember off such as holes in the wall and just very noticeable things that I knew were from his room. I told the landlord about this and she said those fees were for room A where I lived and not room B. I told her it must have been some kind of huge mistake but she wouldn't accept it.

My proof:
I know her staff took pictures of room B because I was there, because they let me be there extra time since I was renewing my lease. My friends who helped me move out are witnesses because they also saw the rooms and the staff taking pictures of room B. Now she she wont show me the pictures...I wonder why? she said I had to ask her in writing and I did but still she didn't show me the pictures. Proof 2 - The paper she gave me with the fees is 2 pages the first one just has general info such as my name and that it was for room A, the second page has all the damages detailed out, in it she has room B circled out....clearly she made a mistake. I only have a copy of that and they should have the originals I asked her to review it but I still haven't heard anything.

Complication:
My lease started in August 2012 and I paid in full all the way through December not including those fees. She took part of that money to pay the fees on last years lease, I have a completely new lease this year and they are not linked together or anything like that so I don't even know why she did that. All she told me was that it was the same account...I'm sure it is just an automated system or something they use though and the leases say nothing about it anyways. I am used to getting student loans to pay my rent as living expense and always pay the months of the current semester in full so I actually did not find out about this until late November and had never opened the letter she had first sent in August because they send a lot of letters that are annoying and I just usually disregard them and I was not really expecting a letter like that either. Well as soon as I found out there was no money for December and that I had 3 days for late fees to begin I went to their office and this whole mess started, this was a week before finals too so they really ruined a lot of my quality study time. I am currently in my home state of Texas but go to school in Michigan because of scholarship (I am in no way rich) so I'm far away until Jan 7 2013. She sent me an email Friday 28, 2012 that I still owed $808 plus $150 in late fees and that Im soon to face eviction if not paid. I don't really know what to do right now but I am planing to take legal matters in to this. It just sucks because I cannot do anything at the moment until I am back in Michigan and I'm worried that if they evict my they will put my stuff out on the street including my only physical evidence which is the paper I am talking about.

Sorry this thread was suppose to be in Evictions. I started it there again can admins please remove this one. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back