In the dark

Looking08

Jurisdiction
Iowa
I have been charged with a felony charge and 2 misdemeanor charges. Other than witness statement I was arrested on hearsay (audio) evidence. I'm worried as it's been about 3 months and no motions or requests filed, not even for discovery. No requested information or meetings. Have a pretrial conference in a week. I seem to get general/generic answers and told that discovery takes till trial sometimes.

I have been charged with a felony charge and 2 misdemeanor charges. Other than witness statement I was arrested on hearsay (audio) evidence. I'm worried as it's been about 3 months and no motions or requests filed, not even for discovery. No requested information or meetings. Have a pretrial conference in a week. I seem to get general/generic answers and told that discovery takes till trial sometimes.

You SHOULD learn MORE after your meeting.

Once you know more, we might be able to offer some additional information.

So attend, look, listen, learn, do NOT discuss ANY aspect of the case, and return.

I assume you have an attorney. Your questions should be directed there.
Yes, it is a slow process and you should be patient, but don't be complacent either.
Before you ever get to a trial you will have opportunity to know exactly what evidence is being used against you.
If the evidence is weak the prosecutor might try to get you to take a plea offer before you ever see that evidence, and you might never see it if you do. That is not to suggest that any plea offer means the evidence is weak.
You will have to discuss with your attorney what your best options are when the time comes.

I'm asking here as I have never been through this before and I am wondering if he is doing what should be done. I ask him questions but get a general answer or sometimes no answer.

I'm asking here as I have never been through this before and I am wondering if he is doing what should be done. I ask him questions but get a general answer or sometimes no answer.

As with anyone serving you, if you're dissatisfied by their performance, you fire them.

It might be time to hire someone in whom you have more confidence.

A lawyer working for you should provide clear answers to your questions.

If that isn't happening, fire her/him now.

Never rush a criminal trial.

A defendant's friend is time, lots of time, not speed.

Haste makes waste.

Back