Improper use of my user name by another

Status
Not open for further replies.
On 9/4/10 someone posted comments in the newspaper using my user name. Can I file a FOIL request.
Probably. But what would you intend to do with it if you managed to find out the IP of the poster? even if you had his or her name, what then?

Your user name?
I suppose there are some variables to consider, but I doubt you can claim exclusive rights to the user name.

Your user name?
I suppose there are some variables to consider, but I doubt you can claim exclusive rights to the user name.

The comments were insensitive and hurtful. The newspaper will only give the name of the person if Civil Litigation is being considered. They have removed the users use of my user name.

The comments were insensitive and hurtful. The newspaper will only give the name of the person if Civil Litigation is being considered. They have removed the users use of my user name.
So, are you really going to hire an attorney for a few thousand dollars in an effort to sue someone for ... what?

It sounds like the matter has been resolved. Being rude and crude is not a crime.

If tehy removed the users name then thats about it. Problem is solved.

sorry double posted.

Last edited:

Nothing illegal occurred. Just let it be and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back