Impounded car

Status
Not open for further replies.

wphamilton

I'm hoping someone can give me a quick, general answer to this.

I had a vehicle towed and impounded from my apartment parking lot due to expired plates. This is Georgia.

The towing company refuses to allow me to pick up my personal belongings from the vehicle until his impound fee is paid. Is he within his rights to do this? If not, how do you force the issue?

Thanks in advance to any who can shed some light on this.

Originally posted by wphamilton
I'm hoping someone can give me a quick, general answer to this.

I had a vehicle towed and impounded from my apartment parking lot due to expired plates. This is Georgia.

The towing company refuses to allow me to pick up my personal belongings from the vehicle until his impound fee is paid. Is he within his rights to do this? If not, how do you force the issue?

Thanks in advance to any who can shed some light on this.

My understanding is that you have a right to your personal belongings as they are not a part of the car. If you do not receive them you should send either a fax or letter certified return receipt that if they continue to refuse you the ability to refuse your personal items you will countersue them as such actions are illegal. Accordingly, you may also pursue the matter with the police for theft as well as holding them responsible for all items remaining in the vehicle until they are returned.

Call your local sheriff/police department and ask them to have an officer meet you at the lot. This may be enough leverage for them to release your personal property.

The officer may refuse to get involved by claiming that it is a civil matter. In that case your only option is to file suit in small calims for the value of your personal items and the impound will counter sue for the fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back