Roomate Important question - legality of sublease term

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcsublet

My jurisdiction is: Washington, DC

I sublet a room in a group house from a tenant who will return in a few months. My sublease agreement states that I am obligated to pay her rent through January.

Her lease, however, just expired, and so she (along with all the other tenants) are renting from the landlord on month-to-month terms. Was it legal for her to sublease a room through January when her lease became month-to-month in July? I've become worried about being locked into this situation now, as the house's owner just put the house on the market. There are groups of strangers walking through the house every day, and my roommates -- with the freedom of their month-to-month leases -- are looking for other apartments, leaving me worried about picking up their portions of the utility bills once they vacate. (The landlord is not looking to take on new tenants before the sale closes.)

I want to do right by the original tenant (her furniture and some belongings are still in the room, which I've offered to help move/store), but I'm worried about my own situation too. Since her lease has expired, is the sublease actually valid through January?

Thanks, and a follow-up question

I really appreciate your response!

To clarify: Even if the original tenant, from whom I am subletting, refuses to give her 30 days' notice to the landlord, I am legally cleared to move out myself as long as I've provided my sublessor with my own 30 days' notice?

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back