Immigration

nicolejoe98

I'm not sure what to do. I just need someone to explain some things to me. I'm 17 weeks pregnant. I'm a United States Citizen for 19 years. The father of my baby, I'm not sure if he's illegal or an immigrant, which ever way it goes unless it means both. I'm sorry I'm not really the smartest. What I'm confused and not sure about is I got told my baby is an Anchor Baby. Apparently my baby can stop him from being deported. I'm not sure yet if he's getting deported or not. I'm just really confused and would like someone to help me out.

Nope. It won't stop anything for him. It won't even legally be his child until he jumps through some legal hoops.

Anchor babies keep mom here, not unmarried men alleged to be the father.

What I'm confused and not sure about is I got told my baby is an Anchor Baby.

You may have been lied to, or someone is attempting to bamboozle you by trying to use your citizenship to change his illegal status to legal.

The man isn't married to you, and the child you're carrying has no legal father.

An unmarried male who is alleged to have fathered a child has no natural parental rights upon the birth of the child.

All parental rights are vested in the birth mother upon birth of said child, that would you, ma'am.

It would take a paternity test, a court filing, and a hearing to begin to establish the man's paternity.

Even if he were eventually proven to be the legal father of the baby, it will hold no sway as to whether the illegal alien that allegedly impregnated you will be allowed to remain in the United States.

As far as the term, "anchor baby", it refers to a child born of an a mother illegally in the USA (which grants birthright citizenship to the baby born here) leading some people to believe the child provides an advantage to the woman who could in seeking to secure citizenship, legal residency in the US, or simply wishing not to be deported to her country of origin.

Your baby isn't an anchor baby, its a US citizen by birth, which confers nothing to any illegal alien male who believes he fathered the child.

Be very careful if the man asks you to sponsor his path to a Green card, as many such males lie about loving women or men who sponsor them, and when they get that card, they disappear and you are stuck paying their way for decades.

One last thing, don't expect that male to ever assist you with supporting the child financially.

There is no way he has the resources necessary to do so after he's deported.

You might wish to consider other options available to you before the clock eliminates one of those legal options.

Thank you. I just was confused and lost. He is the father. I know that for sure. I don't need someone telling me he ain't. I know.

No one is telling you he isn't the father.

The law says an unmarried male isn't the legal father of any child unless he petitions the court (or the state child support agency) for a paternity test, child support order, and a visitation order.

An unmarried male has no rights to the child an unmarried woman births until he does the things required by operation of law.

Wait are you saying, if I file his for child support, he gets deported (if he does), we'd have visitation with him even though he got deported and he'd still see the baby and pay child support? Is that what you're saying? I understand they'd have to take a DNA test to double check that's his baby.

Wait are you saying, if I file his for child support, he gets deported (if he does), we'd have visitation with him even though he got deported and he'd still see the baby and pay child support? Is that what you're saying? I understand they'd have to take a DNA test to double check that's his baby.

If he's deported, (and most of them are quickly being deported these days) even if he was awarded visitation after doing all the other stuff, no he can't come back here to see your child.

Even if he's clever enough to avoid the federal agents, his job prospects are growing dim.

People are reluctant to get in trouble hiring other people breaking the law to work in their businesses.

As far as child support, once they're deported, they rarely pay it.

Why?

You can't pay $300 a month child support when you're earning $3.00 to $20.00 a week, if you're lucky enough to have a job.

I hope you think about this, the good and the bad before there's only one choice remaining.

I'm 19 years old, in college. I don't have much help on someone to talk to about my baby and the situation with the father. Thank you so much.

Creating a child with someone who may not legally be able to stay in the same country was not a wise move. The child does not give him a path to immigration or citizenship until the child reaches adulthood and chooses to sponsor him. If you were to marry, and you are a citizen, then his path to legally remain in the country opens. You still have a lot of hoops to jump through, and I am not suggesting you run out and marry someone you know so little about, just that marriage to a citizen is a path to immigration, but fathering a child is not.

Back