Other Immigration Law immigration questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

leilani

i am my husbands petitioner for a green card application,however i have a problem with my current lawyer and was wondering if i could get any legal advice. after paying my lawyer she sent us to his country of origin and gave us a huge stack of papers that she said she had checked with the embassy and that that would be everything we would need to present. we went to his interview at the embassy and left all those papers there and were hoping that since he did not have any problems with the law that his application would be accepted within 6-9 months as we were told,however i spent 5 months over there and was constantly calling to check on his case and they started telling us that our lawyer has sent us with incomplete paperwork and that she didn't check to see if the sponsor we had would qualify so i had my parents look for someone else to help us and my husband's uncle offered himself to help and she's been asking for a lot of papers that she didn't ask for before like his retirement plan and i would try to contact her to ask her what was going on and she would never answer or she would say she's going on vacation and couldn't attend my calls and now i was just informed that my husbands application will expire soon and i think that she is just trying to lose time so she could keep our money,and leave my husband over there so i guess i just need to know if i should find another lawyer to take a look at this or if she's really doing the process correctly because it would be very devastating to see that she just took advantage of us and our situation now that my husband is out of the country i would really really like some help with this due to the fact that my husband,whom i love dearly is not with us and i am alone now with my daughter and i am out of a job and i would really like it if my husband could come back and be with us. please help!!!!!

Last edited:
i am my husbands petitioner for a green card application,however i have a problem with my current lawyer and was wondering if i could get any legal advice. after paying my lawyer she sent us to his country of origin and gave us a huge stack of papers that she said she had checked with the embassy and that that would be everything we would need to present. we went to his interview at the embassy and left all those papers there and were hoping that since he did not have any problems with the law that his application would be accepted within 6-9 months as we were told,however i spent 5 months over there and was constantly calling to check on his case and they started telling us that our lawyer has sent us with incomplete paperwork and that she didn't check to see if the sponsor we had would qualify so i had my parents look for someone else to help us and my husband's uncle offered himself to help and she's been asking for a lot of papers that she didn't ask for before like his retirement plan and i would try to contact her to ask her what was going on and she would never answer or she would say she's going on vacation and couldn't attend my calls and now i was just informed that my husbands application will expire soon and i think that she is just trying to lose time so she could keep our money,and leave my husband over there so i guess i just need to know if i should find another lawyer to take a look at this or if she's really doing the process correctly because it would be very devastating to see that she just took advantage of us and our situation now that my husband is out of the country i would really really like some help with this due to the fact that my husband,whom i love dearly is not with us and i am alone now with my daughter and i am out of a job and i would really like it if my husband could come back and be with us. please help!!!!!

You are always free to consult with another attorney.
There is no way that anyone on this forum could properly critique what your current lawyer has done.
So, speak to a couple other attorneys about your situation.
The initial consultations are normally free.
Please take copies of all your paperwork and correspondence when you visit them.

Generally speaking, no attorney that knows his/her stuff will ever promise you an acquittal or promise to conclude a case within a certain time frame.
A good attorney will endeavor to represent you professionally, ethically, and aggressively.
That is what advocates do.

One more piece of free advice, your case is important to you, but don't make a pest of yourself.
I am not saying you did that in this instance, but most attorneys don't really like to hear from their clients three or four times a day, or even daily.
I am not advising you not to call, but it might be better not to call more than once a month, if at all.
After all, your attorney knows how to contact you.
Surprisingly to most people, your attorney is working on 20-30 cases (sometimes more) at the same time.
Not that your case is unimportant, but it doesn't consume your attorney's 10-12 hour work day.

At any rate, try my suggestions and let us know what happens.
Immigration cases take time, lots of time.
After all, yours is just one of hundreds of paper files sitting on the desk of some embassy, low-level bureaucrat.
Patience, my friend, patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back