Other Green Card Issue Immigration-Green Card Renewal

Status
Not open for further replies.

b23i3

Hi ,

I have a concern after reviewing these websites and reading through everyone's stories and feedback.

I got my Green Card in 2001; I realized it was expired couple of weeks ago (for over a year-June12), therefore, i filled-out an I-90 form. I received an action notice for Biometrics which need to take place. I was convicted of a misdemeanor Petty Theft under $500; i paid all the fines and community services and was eventually expunged by my lawyer.

I received two misdemeanor DUI's in 2006 and 2011; i have paid the fines and have cleared my records and got my driving privileges back; I have only a $900 court fee left that I am paying.

Please advise when you have a moment please.

Much appreciated.

Thanks,

Misdemeanor & 2 DUIs - you might want to talk to an immigration attorney re your green card renewal.

Hi ,

I have a concern after reviewing these websites and reading through everyone's stories and feedback.

I got my Green Card in 2001; I realized it was expired couple of weeks ago (for over a year-June12), therefore, i filled-out an I-90 form. I received an action notice for Biometrics which need to take place. I was convicted of a misdemeanor Petty Theft under $500; i paid all the fines and community services and was eventually expunged by my lawyer.

I received two misdemeanor DUI's in 2006 and 2011; i have paid the fines and have cleared my records and got my driving privileges back; I have only a $900 court fee left that I am paying.

Please advise when you have a moment please.

Much appreciated.

Thanks,

What has been the longest potential penalty? (ie, 6 months in jail, 12 months, etc)

I've consulted my MAGIC GREEN CRYTAL BALL.

These four words keep appearing: ONE PERSON CRIME WAVE!!!

I see you taking a trip, a ONE WAY trip.

Bye bye, travel safely.

B32I3 . . .

You are wasting time and energy worrying over nothing; you have been asked to provide Biometrics as it is a must with any application having to do with immigration. It is in fact a good omen that your L.P.R. renewal will be decided in your favor and that is it. PERIOD.

Let me give you the skinny...

You have absolutely nothing to worry about and the very simple fact that you are at home writing to this forum and not languishing in an Immigration Detention Center subjected to the horrors of Removal Proceedings is all the proof you need.

First of all, not any and all crimes subject an alien to removal or generally being in I.C.E.'s cross hair or other laundry lists of aggravations, including of course being denied renewal of L.P.R. STATUS. A green card holding alien who is not a U.S. Citizen is subject to being apprehended, detained, and placed in Removal Proceedings if his indiscretions amount to what Immigration Court has termed "Aggravated Felony (A.F) for Immigration Purposes." This means that if an alien racks up two or more misdemeanor DRUG convictions at state level, he is now an Aggravated Felon for immigration purposes and subject to removal from the United States.

There are basically two types of crimes that will get an alien booted out harassed mercilessly and they are (1) crimes involving Drugs and (2) crimes involving those of Moral Turpitude. Anything else and I.C.E. is not interested and will not come looking for you. Therefore, convictions such as (your) simple D.U.I. and other run-of-the-mill non-violent convictions go unchecked and unmolested by I.C.E. and will positively not become obstacles in the alien's immigration process.

If there was to be any problem with your convictions in the past, you can rest assured that you would have been arrested a long time ago and probably back in your home country by now, and the fact that you have not been and are writing this question on this forum is the foremost indication that you have not been labeled a "Criminal Alien" by I.C.E. and company who are notified of the arrests by local police before you even reach finger-printing. If there was ever going to be any problems with the DUIs and whathaveyous, you would have had an Immigration Hold placed on you on arrival at Jail and your Bail privileges revoked. This ensures that you will be handed over to immigration folks's custody immediately upon completion of the criminal case. you would have dressed up and said goodbye to the Sheriffs in one holding cell and arrested by ICE when you stepped in the next cell room.

So, do not worry at all; go ahead and apply for the renewal of your Green Card which is mentioning the obvious here as your really have no alternatives, unless you are contemplating living here out of status which is a sure way of getting removed, which by the way is the P.C. euphemism for deportation which is what it used to be called. But just remember to answer the question about arrests and whatnot truthfully.

I don't know on what basis you originally obtained the Green Card, but if you have become eligible in any shape or form for U.S. Citizenship, then I ABSOLUTELY recommend that you apply to become a U.S. Citizen instead of merely renewing the Green Card.

It will all go well for you. Just don't get any more misdemeanors of any kind any more!

fredrikklaw

B32I3 . . .

You are wasting time and energy worrying over nothing; you have been asked to provide Biometrics as it is a must with any application having to do with immigration. It is in fact a good omen that your L.P.R. renewal will be decided in your favor and that is it. PERIOD.

Let me give you the skinny...

You have absolutely nothing to worry about and the very simple fact that you are at home writing to this forum and not languishing in an Immigration Detention Center subjected to the horrors of Removal Proceedings is all the proof you need.

First of all, not any and all crimes subject an alien to removal or generally being in I.C.E.'s cross hair or other laundry lists of aggravations, including of course being denied renewal of L.P.R. STATUS. A green card holding alien who is not a U.S. Citizen is subject to being apprehended, detained, and placed in Removal Proceedings if his indiscretions amount to what Immigration Court has termed "Aggravated Felony (A.F) for Immigration Purposes." This means that if an alien racks up two or more misdemeanor DRUG convictions at state level, he is now an Aggravated Felon for immigration purposes and subject to removal from the United States.

There are basically two types of crimes that will get an alien booted out harassed mercilessly and they are (1) crimes involving Drugs and (2) crimes involving those of Moral Turpitude. Anything else and I.C.E. is not interested and will not come looking for you. Therefore, convictions such as (your) simple D.U.I. and other run-of-the-mill non-violent convictions go unchecked and unmolested by I.C.E. and will positively not become obstacles in the alien's immigration process.

If there was to be any problem with your convictions in the past, you can rest assured that you would have been arrested a long time ago and probably back in your home country by now, and the fact that you have not been and are writing this question on this forum is the foremost indication that you have not been labeled a "Criminal Alien" by I.C.E. and company who are notified of the arrests by local police before you even reach finger-printing. If there was ever going to be any problems with the DUIs and whathaveyous, you would have had an Immigration Hold placed on you on arrival at Jail and your Bail privileges revoked. This ensures that you will be handed over to immigration folks's custody immediately upon completion of the criminal case. you would have dressed up and said goodbye to the Sheriffs in one holding cell and arrested by ICE when you stepped in the next cell room.

So, do not worry at all; go ahead and apply for the renewal of your Green Card which is mentioning the obvious here as your really have no alternatives, unless you are contemplating living here out of status which is a sure way of getting removed, which by the way is the P.C. euphemism for deportation which is what it used to be called. But just remember to answer the question about arrests and whatnot truthfully.

I don't know on what basis you originally obtained the Green Card, but if you have become eligible in any shape or form for U.S. Citizenship, then I ABSOLUTELY recommend that you apply to become a U.S. Citizen instead of merely renewing the Green Card.

It will all go well for you. Just don't get any more misdemeanors of any kind any more!

fredrikklaw

Hi FredrikkLaw,

Thank you soooo much; i feel so much better.

I became permanent resistant through my Mother; my grandparents applied for us. Both my brother and mother are citizens now but I did not apply since I thought these charges will affect my naturalization. This has made me feel better. Thank you so much for detailed explanation.

Best,

Please remember this:

The maximum sentence can play a significant role here. It's not so much about the actual sentence you received; rather it's the potential maximum sentence you could have received.

The fact that ICE has not acted yet absolutely does not mean that you're safe. With ICE being one of the most understaffed and underfunded agencies in the country, it can take some time.

Please remember this:

The maximum sentence can play a significant role here. It's not so much about the actual sentence you received; rather it's the potential maximum sentence you could have received.

The fact that ICE has not acted yet absolutely does not mean that you're safe. With ICE being one of the most understaffed and underfunded agencies in the country, it can take some time.

Hi Proserpina,

What would you suggest ? I have completed I-90 form already and scheduled for Biometrics this month which i understand it's mandatory but I am stressing about all this and not sure what would happen??

Should i reschedule my appointment ? I look forward to advises please.

Thanks,

You seriously need to high-tail it to an immigration attorney. We can't guarantee what will or will not happen - the attorney will be able to guide you further.

That's what I suggested previously. It never hurts to talk to an immigration attorney to be on the safe side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back