"I'm too rigid!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandgilmore

I have worked for a large metropolitan county in minneapolis for 8 years as a probation officer. I always had raving reviews and a great reputation as a hard worker. In 2000, I left my first job in the county and was accepted in a new position I applied for. This was a position working with the State's most violent criminals. I was 25 years old, a female, and very petite. Most of the other agents were older men. As I began working there, I noticed many of the agents engaging in conduct with the offenders that was against State policy, such as allowing high risk sex offenders to have contact with children. This not only upset me personally, but I took my job extremely seriously and often expressed these wrongdoings to my supervisor.

About a year and a half into the job, I was in a major car accident coming back from a prison. There were 18 cars involved, 2 people were dead (three cars behind me), and I was the 8th car. It was a white-out blizzard. There was nothing I could do. I was injured physically and a few months down the road I also suffered emotional problems. My supervisor began asking me to leave the unit voluntarily stating that I was too emotional, and that "I pissed too many people off". I got information from my doctors to confirm what I was going through. After I flatly refused to leave, they found another excuse to move me a few months later and they found the accident I was in to be "preventable" on my part. I filed a discrimination lawsuit with the EEOC.

I was moved to a unit where other employees were often sent when they were "black-balled". Low responsibilty, certainly not a position where my experience and skills were utilized. My mental condition got worse. I used up all of my sick and vacation time because the environment was hell on Earth. Everyone had prior judgements about who I was. Things got so bad that I ended up in the hospital after a suicide attempt. I went back to work a day after I got out of the hospital. I saw what I thought was a new cord connected to my computer and phone. I accused the management of tapping my phone. They told me to go home and not come back until I was better.

After nine months of kicking and screaming to get a job back, they finally gave me back the very first one I had under the supervisor who knew I was an excellent employee. I have been through 4 years of counseling, groups, and medication, all of which I still retain. After a year and a half investigation, the EEOC found gave me a right to sue letter. Basically the investigator told me "mental health" lawsuits never win.

Things were going very well in my new job until about 6 months ago. One of the public defenders in the county began spreading rumors that I was "too hard on young black men". She managed to gain support from the Judges even though this statement was incredibly false. She was unhappy with a recommendation I gave on one of her cases. I told my supervisor that this constituted an accusation of racism and that I was extremely upset about it. His approach was to have me me with the Judges who told me I was inflexible and "rigid" in my recommendations. Again, this is completely false. I welcomed any of them to go through my case notes and contact any of the offenders I was working with because the statement was just plain untrue. I even told them to ask any of my co-staff. These were lies being spread about as if I had a huge character flaw. Coupled with the previous problems I had, I have now been accused again, of poor conduct. Again, teh accusations were from a public defender. My supervisor would not even listen to what I had to say. He sent me home, relieved me of my caseload and told me I would not be allowed back in the courtroom for 3 months. He basically made me a receptionist in the unit. I grieved this with the Union and after a month the discipline was dismissed. Why? Because I did nothing wrong. The damage again to my reputation was already done. I applied for another job transfer, am the most qualified, but rumor is the supervisor of that unit is wondering why I am such a problem maker.

To top it off, even though the discipline was dismissed, I was still not placed back into the regular job duties as everyone else has. My supervisor keeps coming up with excuses why I can't go back to my regular job. This entire experience has again nearly brought me into the hospital with thoughts of self-harm. I do not know why I am being treated this way. All I know is I can't take anymore, but will not give up because of my drive to right the wrong. Recently my supervisor told me that the Judges do not want me back in the courtroom or to have cases to supervise so he indicates he has a "dilema" with what to do about me. I know he does not believe the crap that has been said or done to me, but he refuses to stand up for me. And, if you can imagine this, the Division Manager, the "highest ranking man in Corrections" must meet with the head Judge who thinks I'm too rigid because I'm more conservative than he is in order to "solve the problem". Me, I'm the problem.

This is all wrong and I cannot believe it is legal, but every attorney I contact basically will not take the case unless I pay them thousands up front. PLEASE, PLEASE help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back