I'm in the process of getting a charge sealed

lynseyb15

Jurisdiction
Florida
Hello,
I paid a lawyer $750!to get these charges sealed about 5 years ago I got mixed up with wrong people / ex boyfriend . I got 3 possession felony chargers which were withheld of adjudication then just because I was sitting in the car and I let my ex-boyfriend running to target he stole something and I got a grand theft charge so to make a long story short I have two cases that were ran concurrent that I went on probation for I completed probation the within a year and early termed from good behavior . So, this lawyer tells me there might be a slight chance u will only get to pick one charge and what do you know when the papers came back that's what she told me ... because I was in the medical field I was uncertain if I should seal the possession chargers but, I would still have the theft charge and I've already been turned down by 3 jobs because of it . Now my lawyer tells me there is nothing we can do I asked if I could write the judge q letter since I'm not a USA citizen and I was working in the medical field . So, now she tells me there is no court date she will only be filling papers and I found that strange that she didn't tell me while I was asking if there is anything else I can do because I know i only get one charge sealed . So, do you think there is anything she can do for me or is she just taking advantage of the situation? I need to know if i should move forward and just Seal the grand theft charge or can she do more work like get me in front of the judge and let him hear my story and the fact that the cases were ran concurrent and I early termed I have not been in trouble since I've only got one red light camera ticket that's it and I want my career back . Pls let me know your thoughts they would be greatly appreciated thank you

Getting a charge sealed doesn't mean no one can discover it, especially during an employment background check, or for professional licensing.

If you weren't guilty, the original charges were the ones to defend by going to trial.

As it stands, you'll always be a convicted felt, unless you were to receive a full executive pardon by the governor.

The fact that you came from another country means nothing. People born here, convicted the way you were, would still have those felonies on their records.

I can't say anything about your lawyer.
If you have doubts, ask her.
Talk about it, then decide.
Bottom line, even if you got lucky and both were sealed, not much would change.
The time to worry about the aftermath of crime is BEFORE you commit any crime.
The boyfriend who got convicted didn't do anything to you that you didn't allow.
All you had to do was say, NO.
You chose to break the law, now like every other convicted felon you must live with your choice.
Had you gotten away with it, you wouldn't be complaining.
So, good lck.

Getting a charge sealed doesn't mean no one can discover it, especially during an employment background check, or for professional licensing.

If you weren't guilty, the original charges were the ones to defend by going to trial.

As it stands, you'll always be a convicted felt, unless you were to receive a full executive pardon by the governor.

The fact that you came from another country means nothing. People born here, convicted the way you were, would still have those felonies on their records.

The boyfriend who got convicted didn't do anything to you that you didn't allow.
You chose to break the law, now like every other convicted felon you must live with your choice.
So, good lck.

So, good lck.
Well, I don't re call telling you all the details . Well, nobody ever told me I wouldn't be able to re open the case and my ex boyfriend never even got the charge I did and and I didn't even know what he took . I was told in order to get out of jail and be put on probation I had to sign papers . When I'm the one being looked at like a thief and ur right I was guilty by association. Due to that my future isn't looking too bright nobody wants to hire a thief but I'm going back to school for medical coding and billing and I had my MA license and my level one back around and I had to let all of that go because they wouldn't renew my license with those charges so I do have an interview tomorrow in a home health agency and checked that my level one back around was up for renewal so I'm assuming that I have to do that again so being that it's been five years I'm just concerned of what will show up and what it will look like after I get this charge sealed so who is eligible for expungement ? Because it seems like I am not since she told me I can only get one charge sealed

Well, I don't re call telling you all the details . Well, nobody ever told me I wouldn't be able to re open the case and my ex boyfriend never even got the charge I did and and I didn't even know what he took . I was told in order to get out of jail and be put on probation I had to sign papers . When I'm the one being looked at like a thief and ur right I was guilty by association. Due to that my future isn't looking too bright nobody wants to hire a thief but I'm going back to school for medical coding and billing and I had my MA license and my level one back around and I had to let all of that go because they wouldn't renew my license with those charges so I do have an interview tomorrow in a home health agency and checked that my level one back around was up for renewal so I'm assuming that I have to do that again so being that it's been five years I'm just concerned of what will show up and what it will look like after I get this charge sealed so who is eligible for expungement ? Because it seems like I am not since she told me I can only get one charge sealed

Expungement doesn't mean the charge goes away.
It doesn't mean the conviction never happened.
Getting angry with me because I revealed the truth won't help you.
Everyone is eligible to apply for expunction.
Many receive it.
Nothing really changes, especially as regards employment and state licensing reference checks.
Expunction is another state sponsored "feel good" scheme.
Anyway, you're free to make your own choices.
I've given you the truth, ignore it, or heed it.
I don't need the details, except the fact you said you were convicted.
You could have said, no thanks, I want a trial.
I want the state to PROVE that I'm a criminal.
If you chose to cave, that's your choice, now the chickens have come home to roost.

Hey that's life. My ex husband drained my savings and spent it on drugs and who knows what else. Luckily I got away from him before I got sucked into some bullshit just because I happened to be in the car. Or that he had my car and did something.

Your ex probably got a deal and narced on you. Sucks. That's life for you now.

Talk to your lawyer as stated. That is the only person who can help you with the situation.

Back