Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Im facing a power theft from a Electric company

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzuki

I am facing a unlimited/general civil case with the Sacramento electric company known as SMUD. Is this going to be the same as grand larceny if I am found guilty? SMUD is suing me for conversion of their electric property, and power theft.I am innocent to those claims. I do not live in Sacramento, but I did help a family friend who is an immigrant with registering their utility needs in my name. I live in San Francisco, and am a full time student who just finished an Associates of Science degree. I never knew about this illegal activity going on under my name. I never gave consent. Adding fuel to the fire, I found out this family friend was stealing electricity to grow pot. I was served my summons 5 days ago. In the case summary there is an page listing all the electrical equipment seized from the house, including 1000 watt HPS lights and ballast. I am so outraged that this could be happening, yet in despair about my legal options to defend my name. Has this happend to anyone else out there? I would like to hear from people who are familiar with this territory please.

I am facing a unlimited/general civil case with the Sacramento electric company known as SMUD. Is this going to be the same as grand larceny if I am found guilty?
No. But, depending on the evidence presented, and the time that has passed, it might be grounds to commence a criminal investigation and prosecution.

SMUD is suing me for conversion of their electric property, and power theft.I am innocent to those claims. I do not live in Sacramento, but I did help a family friend who is an immigrant with registering their utility needs in my name. I live in San Francisco, and am a full time student who just finished an Associates of Science degree. I never knew about this illegal activity going on under my name. I never gave consent.
Actually, you did. When you allowed the utilities to be registered in your name, you took responsibility for the bill. It was YOUR bill.

You should seriously consider consulting an attorney as this could easily become a criminal matter involving theft, drugs, cultivation for sales, and conspiracy. It might also involve federal charges if it goes criminal.

Speak to an attorney ASAP.

You answered your own question- you are facing a civil action with SMUD, not a criminal proceeding.
If the services were provided in your name, with your knowledge, then you may well have some liability. You knowingly took that risk.

I went through this in VA but was not charged with grand larceny. It was a different charge...obtaining a public utility without payment. The penalty was not as harsh if found guilty. Now do as the others said and get an attorney and say nothing else to the police or power company without your attorney present. Remember they have to prove you did....you do not have to prove you did not. Good luck.

Im currently making plans to seek an attorney who can help me. The problem is I dont know how I am going to be able to pay for the service. Maybe I'll work out a payment plan. Thanks for the advice, because I did not understand the magnitude of the criminal charges that is looming over my head.

Does anyone know what kind of lawyer can best handle this type of case? (fingers crossed)

If your recitation of things is correct, this is a civil matter.

All that appears in jeopardy, at this point is your bank account.

Should this ever become a criminal matter, make no statement, ask for a lawyer, plead not guilty, and wait.

If you can't afford to hire a lawyer, ask the court to appoint one to represent you.

This applies only if this matter becomes criminal.

You would be wise to use your fifth amendment privilege in the civil case.

You never know what an admission could become later if this does get charged as a criminal case.

Until it does (if it does) become a criminal matter, you're on your own for the civil charge.

Thanks for the advice, because I did not understand the magnitude of the criminal charges that is looming over my head.

From what you say here I don't see that you will face any criminal charges. You have civil liability toward the bill, but if there was theft of service it was not committed by you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back